Greenwich Foot Tunnel

woodyonthebeach
woodyonthebeach Posts: 583
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
For those of you in London this will probably not be of interest to you, but then again you never know and opinion will also be welcome. Those of you that are in London and use the Greenwich foot tunnel how many of you still cycle through tunnel despite the rules stating that you should dismount and push your bike through.

Here are the Foot tunnel rules

- Photography is banned in both the Greenwich and Woolwich Foot Tunnels. Flash photography can trigger adverse effects to those who suffer from epilepsy and related medical conditions. Commercial photography and filming may take place in the tunnels subject to obtaining the appropriate licence from the Greenwich Film Unit.
- Cyclists need to dismount when travelling across the foot tunnels.
- Dogs are allowed to be walked through the foot tunnels. Please keep dogs on a lead.
Pages in Foot tunnels

Link to the site - http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200102/walking/693/foot_tunnels/2

This may have been covered before in the past but I thought I would raise something again as my wife had a close encounter of the bike kind whilst walking through tunnel, with the rider coming far to close for comfort nearly hitting her in the process.

I use the foot tunnel most weeks on my commute and will always dismount and push (completely with both feet touching the ground walking normally) no matter how late I am as those are the rules or is there secrete club that I need to join that will allow me to cycle through the tunnel with impunity to the rules that have been set.

Okay so walking through the tunnel it adds a couple more minutes to your morning commute, the simple solution would be to plan ahead and leave enough time and have a little more consideration for the rules and other people who may be using the tunnel.

So my question is why do you cycle through the foot tunnel when clear instruction informing you that you are forbidden to do so?

Apologies for my bad spelling, grammar and missing words.
The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I've don't use the tunnel but if I had to go through it I would be tempted to ride if I was wearing cleats which make walking difficult and if it was quiet enough to be able to ride through at a sedate speed without causing a hazard to pedestrians. Why not, if it's not going to cause any problems?

Out of interest, do they refuse to let you in the lift if you ride through?
  • Hey Jack,
    There is not anybody stopping you from riding in the tunnel, but rules are rules really.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Hey Jack,
    There is not anybody stopping you from riding in the tunnel, but rules are rules really.

You can't say that with your sig ;)
  • I used to use the tunnel daily ... always walked. BEWARE ... on occasion, the police lay in wait to catch those that don't walk with on the spot fines. Rules is rules.
  • brebis
    brebis Posts: 5
    there are "cattle" gates to stop cycling in the foot tunnel. I always push through the tunnel. It's a 5 min walk. Cycling in the tunnel just makes it more likely that yet more punitive anti cyclist measures (eg in the Park, who barely tolerate cyclists & RNC gardens) will be introduced in the area.
    The biggest problem is the lack of certainty that the lifts are working! I can't make it up the stairs with my bike. There's a pressure group been formed but as yet I have no info on whether they've had any luck on pushing Greenwich Council on the problems with the tunnel and particularly the lifts http://fogwoft.com/
  • ah yes the gates. There is only one set that is functional as one has had one of the critical parts removed which means you can cycle straight through
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I cycle in the tunnel when i go that way if it's just me and a few peds. For starters it takes up less room than pushing the bike, pushing the bike in road cleats is horrible cos the floor is very slippery, I always go at walking speed, and it really upsets people who point at the sign and ask me if i can't read. :wink:

It's a stupid rule, considerate cycling should be allowed, the council lost the opportunity to police it when they sacked all the lift attendants (who wouldn't let you in if they saw you riding).

I lump the story about your wife in with stories about cyclists jumping red lights, it's anecdotal and fairly pointless.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:
    I cycle in the tunnel when i go that way if it's just me and a few peds. For starters it takes up less room than pushing the bike, pushing the bike in road cleats is horrible cos the floor is very slippery, I always go at walking speed, and it really upsets people who point at the sign and ask me if i can't read. :wink:

It's a stupid rule, considerate cycling should be allowed, the council lost the opportunity to police it when they sacked all the lift attendants (who wouldn't let you in if they saw you riding).

I lump the story about your wife in with stories about cyclists jumping red lights, it's anecdotal and fairly pointless.

Look rules are rules there are a few people that seem to be ignoring them. There is plenty of room to push a bike whilst walking, giving enough room for people to walk around you if you are not walking fast enough whilst pushing a bike, the floor is not that slippery and the argument about cleats isnt really one, okay its a little harder but still I walk through with cleats on.

And yes my wife did have a close encounter with cyclist whilst going through the tunnel. I was just stating fact along with the fact that cyclist do run red lights
  • Koncordski
    I think you'll find that at 8:30am and 6pm 95% of people ignore the rules in regards to cycling in the tunnel. If the majority of traffic through the tunnel at peak commuting times is bikes then it makes little or no sense not to allow cycling. You're asking why people ignore the sign, and in this case it's because the law is an ass. You are of course free to walk and obey the sign if that makes you feel better.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Koncordski wrote:
    I think you'll find that at 8:30am and 6pm 95% of people ignore the rules in regards to cycling in the tunnel. If the majority of traffic through the tunnel at peak commuting times is bikes then it makes little or no sense not to allow cycling. You're asking why people ignore the sign, and in this case it's because the law is an ass. You are of course free to walk and obey the sign if that makes you feel better.

What complete nonsense. So might is right is it and its ok to ignore the minorities?

Bet you don't say the same when the motorists are in the minority and drivers ignore you and your safety.

You think its ok to ignore laws you don't like? Trust you will take the same view if / when you are hit by a drunk driver or a speeding driver who didn't like laws re drink driving/ speeding
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Koncordski
    spen666 wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

What complete nonsense. So might is right is it and its ok to ignore the minorities?

Bet you don't say the same when the motorists are in the minority and drivers ignore you and your safety.

You think its ok to ignore laws you don't like? Trust you will take the same view if / when you are hit by a drunk driver or a speeding driver who didn't like laws re drink driving/ speeding

Oh my god it's an internet forum post, i don't have time to argue right now, i have to finish this bottle of cider and get back in my car so i can run people over. Sometimes there's not enough time in the day to get them all. :lol:

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • I use that route daily and yes it does add a couple of minutes to your journey, big deal, do as one of the other posters ponted out and plan ahead. I was using that tunnel one evening and the lift vacated of all cyclists who instantly shot off down the tunnel, me, I slowly waddled like a duck out of water in my road shoes as "rules are rules" and have been shouted at before in the past for riding in the tunnel, that said, one evening a young mother with her brood thanked me for getting off my bike and walking which shocked me to be honest. Now that all the gates have been removed, it's ridiculous the speeds some of the people on bikes get up to down here.
  • I actually think there should be discretion and common sense. I don't use the tunnel but if a rider is traveling 5 mph with little or few people around then, while that is technically breaking the rules, it does show consideration toward fellow users - if someone is bombing through at 20+ mph, then, yeah! that would be clearly wrong and should not be allowed. It can be frightening for some Peds ( especially with children ) to have a cyclist shoot past them at speed. I see this a lot going through Victoria Park and find the lack of concern for other people worrying. Personally I will always slow down to slightly above walking speed until it's all clear - but that's on park roads (shared) not a tunnel.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Moral relativism rides again then...

In my view, right is right even if nobody does it
    Wrong is wrong even if everybody does it

Sanctimonious humbug? Probably. But it's how I choose to live my life. If you have another plan then that's fine by me until it gets in my my or affects my missus or kids
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    I agree with the using common sense element in using the tunnel.

When I cycle in I use the tunnel both ways. At 6am I cycle through at a slow pace. The place is empty.
    Coming home anytime from 15:30 onwards the tunnel is busy with people, so I walk as I don't want to be a danger to anybody else.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Moral relativism rides again then...

In my view, right is right even if nobody does it
    Wrong is wrong even if everybody does it

Sanctimonious humbug? Probably. But it's how I choose to live my life. If you have another plan then that's fine by me until it gets in my my or affects my missus or kids

Even the police use discretion on low level law braking - I just watched BBC iPlayer Motorway Cops :D

It's all about context.......this doesn't mean everyone can go out murdering - end of the day , it should just be about cycling with consideration to others - I suspect the 'no cycling' sign is there because some inconsiderate soul has hurt someone on a bike.
  • Mikey23
    Off of my moral high horse now and the meds are kicking in!
  • same :D
  • Mikey23
    And I live in cornwall so am never ever ever ever likely to use the Greenwich foot tunnel either on foot or bike. Which makes me overwhelmingly qualified to comment...