Shimano XT Chainset Spacers

kwozzymodo
kwozzymodo Posts: 45
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I've recently installed an XT double chainset in my Scott CX Team. The instructions encourage the use of spacers for a 68mm BB; two x 2.5mm on the driveside and one x 2.5mm on the non-drive side. I'm not happy with the chainline so want to run with a single spacer on the drive side and the other two on the non-drive side, to make things a little smoother. With the exception of the crank rings making contact with the frame, etc., any reason I shouldn't do this?

Comments

• I thought the spacers were for different width BB's so it may not fit snugly without the correct number.
    If it fits though I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    kwozzymodo wrote:
    I've recently installed an XT double chainset in my Scott CX Team. The instructions encourage the use of spacers for a 68mm BB; two x 2.5mm on the driveside and one x 2.5mm on the non-drive side. I'm not happy with the chainline so want to run with a single spacer on the drive side and the other two on the non-drive side, to make things a little smoother. With the exception of the crank rings making contact with the frame, etc., any reason I shouldn't do this?
    the spacers are there to make the BB width correct for the cups. as MTBs have 2 main different BB widths and we have been known to add BB mounted front mechs and chain devices this is why there are the number of spacers needed. but this gives a front chainline of about 50mm which is way too much for a CX or road frame.

so if you want to bring the chain line in yes you would need to move the spacer to the other side. this would reduce your chain line 2.5mm and move your drive side crank in by the same and the ND side out by the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown