MagicShine MJ-880U + MJ818

RibTime
RibTime Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Sorry for this, but I can't quite find the answer, and I have searched, on the various forums within BikeRadar.

I'm on the verge of buying the 880u & 818 lights from MargicShine as my commute, although road based, is mainly ( 16 or 22 miles ) through the New Forset on some small unlit roads where I want to see everything plus alert any cars. I realise that for general road use I need to lower the front light strength.

So my question is should I consider any other lights ( front & back ) for under £200

Comments

• No...
  • No I don't need to consider other lights or No, not another light thread :)
  • No, those lights are fantastic, you will get great run time on the low setting.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No, but get at least one extra rear light as a backup.

I've got a Magicshine front and an 818 rear and can't fault them, BUT if the rear were to fail on my rural commute I might not realise. So I always run two (seperately powered) rear lights.

It's probably worth carrying a spare front too. Just in case.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I found this lens: wide angle lens

to be a useful purchase with the MJ808-e I have

I've seen them on eBay a few times and only costs a couple of quid

p.s. - agree about two lights front and rear (I run a mj-808e and hope vision 2 at the front with a hope district 3 and cateye ld1100 at the rear)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SXJ
    SXJ Posts: 17
    I have MJ816 used mainly on unlit canal path. Works great and can be, literally, blinding. Downside to the unit is that it is very slow to dim. I have to keep the button pressed down for a few seconds before it begins to react and then it is slow to reduce brightness. This is a problem on bends when approaching pedestrians and cyclists come suddenly into view and don't have time to dim. I have to switch the unit off to avoid blinding them and rely on normal back up light. This has the opposite problem in that the light from the unit is so bright that it takes my eyes a few seconds to adapt to the back up.

PS If anyone has a light that is quicker to dim I'd like to hear.
  • Thanks guys for the responses. I'll look for the best deal and go for it.