C2C advice

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Next year I will be doing the C2C challenge with two other riders but we are constantly arguing on how we should carry out the trip. I believe it can be done by our self's ie. carrying our own equipment, tents, food and clothing ect. However the other guys feel it is impossible to be done unaided and they feel we should pay stupid money to get baggage transfer b&b's set up and all that malarkey. Im hoping someone can share there experiences on doing the trip unaided, and I know that it has been done but what I want to gain from this is to provide a solid argument that we can do this trip unaided and don't need to spend hundreds of pounds to go suffer on a bike for 3 days!.

Many Thanks. :D
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Which C2C are you doing? Is it the Sustrans (mainly road) route from Whitehaven to Tynemouth or the more off-roady one from St Bees Head to Robin Hood Bay?
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I like the idea of doing everything yourself, carrying your kit and camping. It's probably wise to have some kind of support vehicle though, like a van for example with a few spare parts and supplies. Im not sure it could be done in only three days without help, it would depend on your route I guess.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Maro wrote:
    I like the idea of doing everything yourself, carrying your kit and camping. It's probably wise to have some kind of support vehicle though, like a van for example with a few spare parts and supplies. Im not sure it could be done in only three days without help, it would depend on your route I guess.

You are joking - a support vehicle for a three day ride?

Get some sort of pannier rack, a light tent, a sleeping bag and a thermarest, one of you carries a stove, the other a pan, the other some food, or buy food just before your night stop at whatever nearby town exists, have a laugh - worst that can happen you are 10 miles from civilisation and probably have a mobile signal. You only need a change of clothes and a packable jacket for nights.

I did the C2C years back when I first started riding - we did B&B night stops so each had just a small bag with our evening wear in and a toothbrush and a set of allen keys and a pump. Camping adds a few more kilos.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Maro wrote:

You are joking - a support vehicle for a three day ride?

Get some sort of pannier rack, a light tent, a sleeping bag and a thermarest, one of you carries a stove, the other a pan, the other some food, or buy food just before your night stop at whatever nearby town exists, have a laugh - worst that can happen you are 10 miles from civilisation and probably have a mobile signal. You only need a change of clothes and a packable jacket for nights.

I did the C2C years back when I first started riding - we did B&B night stops so each had just a small bag with our evening wear in and a toothbrush and a set of allen keys and a pump. Camping adds a few more kilos.

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • That idea makes sense, spread the load out. I will have to talk to the other guys im doing it with see what they think.

Thanks for the help!

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    If its the c2c st bees to robin hood bay, its a route a bunch of us crudcatcher dwellers are looking at doing for charity next year following our successful attempt at the welsh c2c. Our way is hostels and support vehicles, ie the easy way but it leaves you to concentrate on the riding. At the min we are still in planning stage for the end of June 2014 but if you want to pop your head in the Crudcatcher, say hi I'm sure we could squeeze you in. We had 11 of us ride the wales c2c and it was a good old bunch
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Doing that route think Gazlar has the best strategy. I've not done that ride but understand there's a fair bit of bike carrying involved. With support it will allow you to carry what you normally would for a day ride. I've done off road MTB holidays and find even a small 15L rack bag even not overly heavy or as cumbersome as panniers will have a marked effect on the handling of your bike off road.

I did the Sustrans mostly road C2C but took in the off road options such as the Old Coach Road etc. and had to be mindful of the extra weight on the rear end.

In Wales I noticed it even more as it involved a lot more off road sections and felt the rack and bag were marring the enjoyment of downhill runs.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/