1St day on my bike

Shaky1974
Shaky1974 Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi I finally got my hybrid bike delivered. Got my lights my lock helmet and pump. Now for my first time out on it . But advice would be grateful. I'm39 and need to lose weight and get fitter. So do I go on short rides first or go for it big time. And how long before my bum gets use to the seat

Comments

• It isn't really rocket science, you won't be able to do long distances at first. So start out small, stay close to home so you can ride until you're tired and then stop. It will take you a good while to get used to the saddle, probably more than a month.

Besides, what are you doing posting on the internet, ride your bike!
  • And do invest in some padded shorts!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Go for it big time!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    They'll all be "big rides" ... just the distance will get longer over time! ;)

I've done nearly 4000 miles this year - but my arse still felt the bumps on the 70 miles I did in one hit at the weekend - this morning, same kit (washed & dried) - 11 miles - no problem.

I'd suggest that to start with you don't venture too far from home - you can do the distance - but try to keep the course fairly compact - at least you can bail out if needed.
  • Thanks slow bike . Advice taken
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 70
    Some advice from a fellow newbie who is also overweight, and has put around 120 miles on bike..

Yep padded shorts/leggings are a great thing to have. Decathlon have some at a reasonable price http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-308030-tig ... ing-shorts I am about 44" waist and find the XXXL the best fit. I also recently found some bib shorts in TK Maxx size XXXL that were £20 and superb quality padding for the price.

If you can cycle almost exclusively on traffic free cycle paths (as I fortunately I can where I live), that might make cycling longer distances easier. Also worth considering hills in your routes. If you can go up, then your return journey will be eased. http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey should give an elevation profile.

Try your frame mount pump out and check it works properly. These are only really suitable to "get you home" in the event of a puncture repair. it's far better to have a track style pump at home. The usual recommendation seems to be to pump to max pressure marked on sidewall if you weigh quite a bit http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/mich ... ssure.view

Keep at least one spare tube with you, and if you only carry one also carry a puncture repair kit. Familiarise yourself with the procedure, there are some Youtube videos. I've decided to upgrade my tyres to puncture resistant ones, after seeing how thin the ones are that came with the bike, and a 16 mile walk home pushing after replacing the first inner tube, and the second one going straight away (I think glass was caught in tyre tread).

If you have a quick release front wheel, a cable lock in addition to a D lock is useful.

As you start making longer journeys, hydration is very important, so consider a bottle and cage, or two.
  • Thanks so much anewman that's great advice . My first day out on it I covered 4 mile in one go ,had to stop 3 times only for a minute tho. Hills I made but legs where burning, but most pain came from my wrists leaning against the handlebars, I have since higherd them to see if that helps.
  • samtope
    samtope Posts: 18
    You can ease wrist and hand pain with some bar ends too, gives you different position options. I had pain in my thumb, but not since using bar ends.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 70
    You might benefit from some wider grips also to distribute weight across wider surface area. These can be bought along with bar ends, for example http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ergo ... tAodVDEA6Q
  • I started cycling about 6 months ago at age 36.
    By started, I mean proper cycling. I knew how to ride a bike but hadn't cycled for over 3 years.

I found that having no choice but to put in the big miles was the best way for me.
    I cycle 16 miles to work and 16 miles back home.

It was hard for the first 2 rides and it took me about 1hr 40mins to do 16 miles.
    Also hurt my bum!!!!

I found that by the 3rd ride, I was already knocking time off and by the end of the second week my time was below an hour.

I guess I was already in a good place in terms of stamina fitness as I do a lot of distance running, so that helped.

I think when you are trying to increase distances and push yourself, a lot of it is in the mind, which is why it was good cycling to work. I knew I had to be in by a certain time, so getting off the bike and stopping was not an option. I just had to push myself to finish it.
  • Shaky1974 wrote:
    Thanks so much anewman that's great advice . My first day out on it I covered 4 mile in one go ,had to stop 3 times only for a minute tho. Hills I made but legs where burning, but most pain came from my wrists leaning against the handlebars, I have since higherd them to see if that helps.

You raised them ;) ....How did you raise them BTW?

Make sure you don't lock your elbows straight, doing that doesn't help the blood supply to your hands and can cause "pins and needles" numbing pains.... It's also terrible for your elbows.

You want to have your elbows slightly bent (but still almost straight) just to help with absorbing impacts, I'm sure that will help with your wrist pain if you don't already do it.
  • stick to smaller rides first close to home
    maybe pick a route that circles your home town then do the same route twice when you want to up the distance
    theres nothing worse than being 20/30miles from home then realise your knackered or worse pull a muscle
    also as said make sure you're well prepared equipement wise
  • Just go for it and then further on the weekends. Start biking to work. Crew cut so no helmet hair. Then spend on more clothes as the weight falls off and go further still. Move further away from work and still keep commuting. Spend even more on clothes as the last lot don't fit anymore. Spend over a grand on the next bike and start enterng triathlons and sportives. Or maybe that is just me!
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)