J Pull & Straight Pull Hubs?

OutSpoken
OutSpoken Posts: 69
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone explain the benefits of one or another between J-Pull Hubs and Straight pull?

Im looking at some Hope Pro Hubs with Stans Rims for my new build?

Going onto an Intense Tracer 275, going to be my do it all bike so needs to withstand XC, Trail centres, France etc

Cheers

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    They look cooler!

In all serious ness, they are meant to be stronger as the bend (high stress area) is not present.

They are also easier to replace.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Straight pull spokes are marginally lighter and stronger - as said no bend.

They're impossible to find stock of though. Hope carry them for their combinations, but if you're not within reach of a Hope dealer you haven't got a cat in hell's chance. They're harder to work with too, definitely not easier to replace. You have to stop them rotating while you tighten.

I'd always try and get standard j-bend spokes unless there was a very compelling reason not to. For Hope/Stan's wheels I'd definitely just have j-bend ones.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    njee20 wrote:
    They're harder to work with too, definitely not easier to replace. You have to stop them rotating while you tighten.

You think??? I find them much easier to replace. I have not built a wheel from scratch, but replacing them is much easier. No bend and threading.
  • Cheers for the quick replies...

also the SP seem to come out slightly heavier?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    straight pull have been known to come out of the hub in certain cases.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mavic use some straight pull as well.......as each one passes out through another replacing one requires a number of others to be loosened, so check that out first! The wheel I had had a chunk pulled off the hub by some of the spokes....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    My Mavics have straight pull spokes. They're also flat and made entirely of 'black' so they look great. I haven't broken one yet (being made of black, they're indestructible!). But when I do break one I expect it to be a PITA.

I'm sure any differences are very marginal, J spokes are certainly easier to get hold of. If I was riding abroad or doing a C2C or similar I'd pick them for this reason
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nothing wrong with J-bend spokes on a well built wheel with proper component selection tailored to you and where you ride. Straight pulls are more expensive. DT Swiss sell stright pull comps in the U.K through Madison, expensive and not many shops will stock them I don't so getting them will involve buying a box of 72.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's good, they never used to. I bent a straight pull Aerolite in a Roval Controle SL and it was impossible to get a replacement.