Employee advice:ISO accreditation vs bikes in the warehouse.

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
My employer is going for some ISO accreditations. I believe the relevant certificate we're chasing is ISO 9000.

I (and one other) ride to work, and stick our nice bikes in the warehouse. The warehouse is controlled by a nice bloke who doesn't mind us sticking our bikes there at all. They're generally out of the way (under a staircase), and he moves them if they're in the way. No harm, no fuss, and we all get along.

Now, under the ISO regs, we've been told we're apparently "not allowed" to keep our bikes in the warehouse. Does anyone know if that's true? I can't find much, but frankly trying to start understanding the ISO regulations is bewildering.

Work have just put in a new bike shelter (in a really dumb place that blocks off 3 car parking spaces), presumably to nullify any potential complaint, but it is a hell of a lot worse than sticking them in the warehouse. We'll have to take lights etc off and the bikes will still be exposed to scrotes who do come a-wandering now and again, and I won't be happy leaving it overnight as I did with the warehouse. I'm not sure I could call the new bike shelter unfit for purpose, but it's deeply annoying given I wasn't consulted at all first; we're a small company and I'm generally accepted as "the bloke who cycles in" and I'd have happily accepted an Asgard shed in a place that doesn't block off so many car spaces.

As we haven't received any official instruction to use the bike shelter yet (I'd imagine that official instruction would be forthcoming if I carried on as I am), do I have another option? There is actually somewhere else I could put the bike, which I might do anyway, and, if questioned, explain why I'm not happy about using the bike shelter.

So, do I have any options? It's unfortunate that the bloke now managing stuff like this is an officious tit. I am keenly aware of my inability to talk to him without attempting to eviscerate him, so I doubt I can have a quiet word with him.

My direct boss is a very decent and fair bloke, but is unlikely to give my word much clout in any "discussions".
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    ISO:9000 is a family of accreditation standards related to quality management. They are very generally drafted as one standard is designed to fit pretty much any business, so I'm certain that it doesn't state categorically that bikes may not be stored in warehouses.

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_9000

What it might say is that access to a warehouse must be controlled and only things that are specifically for use in the warehouse should be stored there. This might be the issue with just leaning bikes in the corner.
    What to do? I'd get in touch with whoever has made the decision and ask (as politely as possible) what the exact problem is, and whether they would be willing to discuss an alternative solution that might better suit those who cycle as well as answering their requirements.

ETA: If you want an Asgard, you might need to suggest that you and the other cyclists all contribute towards it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    AFAIK ISO9000 does not preclude you from putting your bike in the warehouse. So the bloke managing the project is being an officious t(w)it.

ISO9000 is about quality management systems - and IME seems to be about documenting procedures (usually to the nth degree) so that the procedure is always carried out in exactly the same way - thus giving assurance that the end result is predictable and reliable.

The only reason I could think of where ISO9000 wouldn't "allow" you to put your bike under the stairs is when that area is part of a procedure - and moving your bike isn't part of that procedure - therefore it shouldn't be there.

As to how you go about getting back to how it was - that depends on your ability to talk to the guys above the t(w)it ... putting in a bike rack without even consulting the cyclists is a bit daft at best and I doubt the finance dept would like to know that money has been spent for no reason. FWIW I wouldn't put my best bike in a bike rack either - if I was left with no inside option for my bike(s) I'd stop riding in and find another job where I can take them inside!
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    ISO 9000 is a methodology of having systems and process available to cover any eventuality, so someone would actually have had to create a system/process for someone to store their bike for you to be in contravention of it. If they have, then you need to find that particular person and argue for the change of process, the process for which should be available to you.

I would argue that the Company ought to also be assessing it's carbon footprint and encouraging environmentally friendly policies and practices, such as cycling to work and facilitating them. ISO9000 gets some tickboxes on tenders but positive environmental policies (& ISO 14001) probably get you more these days.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Pufftmw wrote:
    ISO 9000 is a methodology of having systems and process available to cover any eventuality, so someone would actually have had to create a system/process for someone to store their bike for you to be in contravention of it, If they have, then you need to find that particular person and argue for the change of process, the process for which should be available to you.

I would argue that the Company ought to also be assessing it's carbon footprint and encouraging environmentally friendly policies and practices, such as cycling to work and facilitating them. ISO9000 gets some tickboxes on tenders but positive environmental policies (& ISO 14001) probably get you more these days.

This. However someone may of written a warehouse acess process that didn't include the bike, so you might be breaking that. All you need is a system / process for storing bikes in the warehouse and have this added to ISO9000 documents and problem solved. You can do what you want under ISO9000 provding you have a process for it.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davis
    Pufftmw wrote:
    ISO 9000 is a methodology of having systems and process available to cover any eventuality, so someone would actually have had to create a system/process for someone to store their bike for you to be in contravention of it.

Ah. It's probably that, coupled with slowbike's answer above; I'd imagine that a policy saying "only job-related stuff allowed" has been created, and this guy isn't the slightest bit interested in being flexible.

True, but I'd think this particular individual would argue that adding a bike shelter is making them more environmentally friendly. I think I'll see if I can hide the bike away in another room....
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'd be suggesting a "storing a non standard item in warehouse" policy, and a "warehouse entry / exit" policy. A signing in sheet for both should do it. If you make it generic (i.e. non bike specfic) and get the warehouse manager to request it, you said he is nice bloke, stating that he need the flexibility to support the business then it's shouldn't be a problem for the ISO person. Basically the policy can say that any non hazzordous items can be stored in the warehouse with warehouse managers approval providing it is logged on the sheet, and any employee or guest can access the warehouse providing they are authorised by the warehouse manager and thier entry exit is recorded. When the ISO guy has gone all the warehouse manager has to do is email you authorising the storage of your bike and for you to enter / exit the warehouse, plus a simple logging sheet by the door.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davis
    Sketchley, that's a great idea. Depending on how I play it I suspect I could find something in the warehouse which isn't accounted for by the current policy, and therefore a policy simply has to be created allowing ad-hoc items.

I would therefore be upholding the "let's create a process for the bleeding obvious" thinking, as well as possibly getting my bike back out of the way....

Thanks.