Can't index when switching from 7 speed freehub to freewheel

ntotheatothet
ntotheatothet Posts: 26
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm currently refurbing my old GT Outpost from the early 90s and I'm having some problems with switching the rear wheel and indexing. It's an old Shimano Altus 7 speed setup with v-brake, built-in shifters. I've changed the original 11t-28t freehub wheel for a 14t-28t freewheel one (just cheap Rodi airline, deep rim wheels but they're red and I like the way they look - it's not for quality just for a bike that looks cool to me as a bit of a project!) - the trouble is, I can't get the new sprockets to index. I thought the shimano spacing was standard but no matter how I set it up I just can't get it to index, in fact it won't even go into the lowest gear - I just can't get it to shift onto the largest rear sprocket. Any ideas as it's driving me crazy?!? I pop the old wheel and cassette back on and it's perfect but then switch to the new one and it's a no go...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so have you reset the stop screws? and reset up the system?

read the how too on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes, I've reset the stop screws and reset up the whole system... no luck! Are they just incompatible? I didn't think that was possible?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is something with your set up.

either something is bent,damaged or just not set up correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I pop the old wheel and cassette back on and it's perfect

This makes it sound like you haven't changed anything, otherwise the old wheel wouldn't work either.

Take old wheel out, disconnect cable from derailleur, unscrew both stop screws as far as they go, wind in any barrel adjusters all the way, then back two turns and start again from scratch.
  • Thanks guys... sorry for being a total newbie.... this is the first bike I've done anything on and I'm learning by trial and error (mainly many, many errors). I've done as you suggested and started the whole setup from scratch (using the guide on this site as reference) and it works like a charm! Really appreciate the help.... :D