Apps for riding

scottbramwell
scottbramwell Posts: 78
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, at the moment i am using Strava but I have seen advertised somewhere that there is another app where you can save your rides on. But I can't find it, SOooo, am wondering what app (if you use one) do you use when out riding?
Whyte 801
The destination is not as important as the journey!!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Strava is for people who want to race against strangers without ever having to meet anyone or be sociable.
    I use endomondo to record routes.
  • I use Cyclometer on my WP8, but will be switching to Strava when I get the iphone running. Other than that, I use a Garmin Edge.
  • Map my ride records routes
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Sportstracker is another activity recording app, used it for about the last 4 years, works well for me.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    viewranger is another one
    what are brakes for again
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Stickman Downhill is a good riding app. Good fun.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I have Sports Tracker although I don't use it very often.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Used to use Sports tracker, Strava is more 'fun'.....despite what RSC says I usually only compare my times to my mates....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Endomondo for me, easy to use and its free!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Most are free,although some do offer a premium payable version with some added features.
    I used sportstracker for a number of years back when it was a Nokia/Symbian only app,since moving to android sports tracker have failed to keep upto date with competion and lacks some newer features,also it has a bug on android versions that allows it to crash on long events and where the old version would save up until the crash pointthe latest looses everything,they have been "fixing" it for the last 2 years with no new updates as yet.
    I recenty switched to strava and was able to save all my rides from sportstacker and upload them to strava.
    Its good to see all the segment times and tables,but its down to the individual how competitively you use it,I only really pay attention to my time on my local route.
    there all pretty much the same, but as far as i no strava is the only one that allows segment times to be compaired.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stickman Downhill is a good riding app. Good fun.

No, its rubbish.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Well that depends how seriously you take your app gaming :wink:
  • Ordenance survey do these new fangled things called maps .
  • Well, I suppose you could draw your routes on the maps as a way of saving them...
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Depends a bit on your OS, endomondo's available on pretty much everything.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Discopooh
    Discopooh Posts: 109
    Strava is by far the most fun, even if you are racing with strangers and friends it's still nice to move up the table in the challengers in your area/route. I've found myself pushing that bit harder when it comes
    to a challenge section on my loop.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    This is good, especially the for the fact it uses Open Cycle Map:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id47886 ... mpt=uo%3D4
  • thanks, nice to know that im up there using the right app there abouts, i use endomondo for my running, strava i like for the bike, so i think i will stick with that for now. or until something better comes along :)
    Whyte 801
    The destination is not as important as the journey!!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Ordenance survey do these new fangled things called maps .

They do, but why would you when you have to pay for them. :D
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just used a garmin edge 500 and Strava. The edge once set to update position every second is very accurate compared to mobile phone apps, also it has a longer batter life and is waterproof enough. I do mountain and road biking.

The good thing about strava is it motivates you to ride faster and other riders times show you what is possible. Also you can see in which sections other riders go noticeably faster than you to improve your skills and really push yourself. Strava showed me the brakes on my road bike were poor and once I upgraded them my times improved no end on the downhill sections.

You can subscribe to ordinance survey and print off their maps as often as you want. It lets you zoom into the section you are interested in.

Just give it a go ;)
  • Strava is for people who want to race against strangers without ever having to meet anyone or be sociable.
    I use endomondo to record routes.

Use both Strava and Endomondo and the latter being the best imo. Both good apps but find Endo tracks that little more accuracy.