chain is rubbing and catching on next gear help???

mike hunts alpine
mike hunts alpine Posts: 765
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Apologise in advance as its probably just one of those give that a tighten things. (newbie) Slx rear mech on week old bike btw. When pedalling chain is rubbing on next gear up and catches when back pedalling. This has just started since my last ride in extremely wet weather. Can someone please give me idiot proof instructions to fix this.
Cheers.

Comments

• Gear 10, chain slightly catches on 9 and so on right the way up.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Take a look at the FAQ's for this section, you should read up on rear derailleur adjustment in park tools or Sheldon brown which is good.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools and adjust. And don't pedal backwards.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gear 10, chain slightly catches on 9 and so on right the way up.
    10 is the smallest rear gear, 9 next smallest and then you go further DOWN.....

So which end of the cassette is it?

Will always catch back pedaling as there is nothing to guide it, correct indexing should sort the issue pedaling forwards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just had that prob with mine mentioned it on first service usually I can tune them out myself but this wasn't happening on this occasion, anyhow turns out the freehub is causing the rear cassette to oscillate resulting in lazy/miss shifts may not be your problem but worth having a look.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
    Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    If its rubbing on the next biggest gear id say there is too much tension in the cable (assuming its not rapid rise).

There's also the possibility of the rear mech hanger being bent inwards. (id check this first by looking down the bike from the rear to the front and make sure the mech is hanging straight down not angled)

If the hanger is straight then check the cable routing, if the cable outer has popped out of one of the guides it can put more tension on the inner cable, or if they are twisted they don't run smooth and cause problems.

Another thing to check is the barrel adjuster on the shifter? has this been wound out? if it has then tension has been added to the cable and may need winding back in:-
    * If it has been wound out then put the bike in gear '5' and make sure the shifter is also in 5
    * look down the bike from the rear and see where the top jockey wheel is in relation to the cog it wants to be guiding it to.
    * The top jockey wheel should be perfectly inline with cog '5' on the rear. If there's too much tension then the mech will be slightly further towards cog '4' and if there's not enough tension it will be further towards cog '6'.
    * Adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter to move the mech over (wind out to add tension, in to reduce tension).

If adjuster is wound all the way in then drop the rear gear into 10, make sure both the shifter and the chain are in '10' then undo the pinch bolt holding the cable and allow the cable to become loose, then refit it, pulling it tight, but not really tight (just hold the cable between your fingers and do up the pinch bolt again) then fine tune with the steps I described above.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Gear 10, chain slightly catches on 9 and so on right the way up.
    10 is the smallest rear gear, 9 next smallest and then you go further DOWN.....

So which end of the cassette is it?

Will always catch back pedaling as there is nothing to guide it, correct indexing should sort the issue pedaling forwards.
    Its slightly catching on the bigger gear all the way up.
    Tried loosening and tightening the cable and its still catching.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    Read Parktools and adjust. And don't pedal backwards.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Hanger bent?????