rotor upgrades .

scottys trek
scottys trek Posts: 8
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Im currently running shimano slx calipers with 160mm front and rear.

I want to upgrade to 203 mm rotors . What is needed and would I need to upgrade anything else .

Anyone feel free to point me in the directiin of a shop in the north east area

Comments

• wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    That's a big jump but if you are running out of brakes then....

My Giant came with 160's. I upgraded the front to 185 which involved buying/fitting a spacing adaptor to extend the caliper from the forks, and I now have all the stopping power I need.
    I imagine that's all you would have to do but you would have to make sure the frame will take the larger rear rotor (may extend into the chain-stay).
  • Adapter and new rotors.

Make sure your frame and forks can take 203mm rotors, not all can.
  • Went 160 to 180 but only on the front . Just need the right adator for your fork . For me that was a significant increase in braking power.
  • Bike in question is trek fuel ex 8 .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Possibly overkill on the front, definitely too much on the back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:

This.

Unless you are throwing yourself down the side of an Alp or racing world cup standard Downhill 203mm discs are way over the top.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am 15st10 and my 180mm front rotor stops me just fine.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    I'm 16st and 160mm rotor stops me fine :wink:
  • kajjal
    Kajjal wrote:
    I'm 16st and 160mm rotor stops me fine :wink:

:D
  • Im not as heavy as you guys but they dont stop me on the slightest declines
  • They may need adjusting or re-bleeding?

Having said that, the 160mm rptors are on the xc bike.. I have 203 on the FR bike..
  • cooldad
    Im not as heavy as you guys but they dont stop me on the slightest declines
    Then you have more issues than rotor size.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kajjal
    Does seem you have other problems, mine will lockup instantly even on a steep downhill if I pull them on hard enough. Maybe your pads are contaminated or as above your brakes need adjusting.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

Well in that case a bigger disc will not stop you either just do it 10% quicker
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Kajjal wrote:

same here but I have 160mm onthe front and stops me fine..... admittedly I did change to 140 mm on the back but didn't do enough for me so back to 160 mm.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    cooldad wrote:

I also agree with this. I use a 180mm on the back, and i find that it is more than enough. It is very easy to lock the rear wheel. I can almost guarantee that you wont be needing the 203mm on the rear as you wont actually gain any braking performance on the rear.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    As above 203 on the rear will just lock far too easily.

I run 203 on the front and a 180 on the rear on both my bikes and they are more than adequate to stop 16.5 stone travelling at some speed down hill.

I'd guess you have contaminated pads or air in the system if they aren't biting well. SLX are brilliant brakes and shouldn't be having these issues!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

I want to upgrade to 203 mm rotors . What is needed and would I need to upgrade anything else .

be sure your frame and forks are warrantied for larger rotors. if they are its just a case of buying the rotors, specific 203mm adaptors for front and rear and put them on.
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:

be sure your frame and forks are warrantied for larger rotors. if they are its just a case of buying the rotors, specific 203mm adaptors for front and rear and put them on.

Or solve the actual problem instead of chucking money at a non solution.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Or solve the actual problem instead of chucking money at a non solution.

don't be such a dick all the time - I answered the first question he asked :roll:
  • cooldad
    You may have answered the question, but you didn't solve the problem.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, you could fit a 225mm disc in between heavily contaminated pads and they still won't stop the bike very well, if the OP fixes the problem he may decide the 'upgrade' discs are no longer needed, thus saving him a wedge of cash.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    You may have answered the question, but you didn't solve the problem.

there wasn't a problem in the first post :roll:
  • cooldad
    I know reading is hard for you, but maybe try struggling through the posts in between.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    I know reading is hard for you, but maybe try struggling through the posts in between.

only struggle to read the crap you come out with :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well why couldn't you follow the rest then? It is clear there is an issue that won't be fixed by bigger discs, fixing the issue may mean he doesn't want bigger discs after all, is that too hard to cope with..... and I now hate you for making me have to agree with CD - for gods sake!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    Well why couldn't you follow the rest then? It is clear there is an issue that won't be fixed by bigger discs, fixing the issue may mean he doesn't want bigger discs after all, is that too hard to cope with..... and I now hate you for making me have to agree with CD - for gods sake!

must have been my subconscious plan :lol:

I got oil on my rear disc after I changed the tyre recently - brake didn't work and squealed like a banshee.

1391548_10202035787237815_1690717485_n.jpg

cleaned disc in soapy water and sanded the pads a bit = brakes as before.
  • kajjal
    Not another thread with arguing and off hand comments again ;)