UK size 14 cycling shoes?

Ulysses
Ulysses Posts: 104
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've got fairly big feet at UK size 14, and they're pretty wide too, I've been looking at Shimano M088 MTB XC's - are there any other reasonably prices big shoes that anyone could recommend?

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    IIRC, the Spesh Body Geometry range go up fairly big.
  • Ulysses
    Will have a look thanks, anyone know how rigid the soles are on cycling shoes? Wide feets means loads of overhang on pedals. Currently ride with skate shoes and regular pedals (new bike will have Shimano PD-M647's) and there is zero support on the overhang which cant be good for my feet!!
  • shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    Hi Mate.

I have relatively big feet (although not as big as your barge's :wink: ) at UK size 12 and I also use the Shimano M088 shoes you are talking of, IME they are brilliant shoes they do have a much stiffer sole than your skating shoes will do and I use mine with XT SPD's and have never had a problem regarding the support they offer. Due to the positioning of the venting I also find that they don't freeze my toes off like my last Shimano MTB shoes did but dont cook my feet either......most importantly they look lovely.

My tuppence worth anyways, hope it helps.
  • Ulysses
    Cheers shdaxner, perfect info!
    I was searching around some more about big cycle shoes and apparently the M088's also come in a "wide" size so will look at ordering some at the end of the month.
  • shdaxner
    No problem.

Forgot about the choice of width fitments, mine are also the 'wide' version and I am more than happy with mine, the fastening system is really good to, I like the ease of the two Velcro lowers and the top ratcheting strap is really easy to use.

Top shoes IMO :D
  • I also have large feet. I buy Sidis in a size 50. They are the only cycling shoes that look remotely stylish and don't make my feet look like I'm wearing barges. They are very expensive, but they last for years and years. You can also buy replacement straps and buckles etc., but I've never had to do this as they are so well made.
    Ordered the M088's from Merlin as they were cheapest around. Dont have any SPD pedals though to try them out properly (pedals coming with new bike), was surprised how light and rigid they are ... though I'm not sure if they are a little bit short on my toes, is that normal with SPD's fitment?
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    IMHO, Shimano shoes are a bit on the small size, especially narrow.
  • shdaxner
    I don't know about the small sizing thing, I'm a size 12 and I have had two pairs of shimano shoes in size 47 and length wise they have been fine, my first pair were too narrow and I would get numb toes after long rides if fastened too tightly whereas the M088 in a wide fitment honestly fit me like a glove.....I couldn't be happier with them.
  • Ulysses
    Levi_501 wrote:
    IMHO, Shimano shoes are a bit on the small size, especially narrow.
    I picked up Wide fit, they are really nice fitting over all. Will have to wait and see how they are when riding, I hope the toe space is enough.
    shdaxner wrote:
    I don't know about the small sizing thing, I'm a size 12 and I have had two pairs of shimano shoes in size 47 and length wise they have been fine, my first pair were too narrow and I would get numb toes after long rides if fastened too tightly whereas the M088 in a wide fitment honestly fit me like a glove.....I couldn't be happier with them.

Sounds good, I'm Shimano size 50 :) mine just seem to feel like the outside of my big toe is a tiny bit tight on the shoe - reackon it'll be fine for riding, if they were walking shoes then it would be bad.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Let us know how you get on with them I am also a Bigfoot and thinking of trying the 49 wide
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ulysses
    Got to give the M088's a good try today. All good, very comfortable, the toe rubbing I felt walking isnt there when riding.
  • shdaxner
    Good good, glad they're working out for you.