Dumb ass gearing question

Dudders29
Dudders29 Posts: 171
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
I've got the opportunity to buy some drastically reduced hand built Campag wheels but as I'm a beginner am not sure if they would be suitable.
They are the right size but how they differ to what I have is that
a) they have 32 spokes , which is more than mine at mo.b) the rear has a 8 speed cassette where as mine has a 10

What difference would the above make ?

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    What groupset do you have? Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo?

What is the freehub on the wheels? Shimano/SRAM or Campagnolo?

If the freehub matches your groupset then you would need to put a 10-speed cassette on the new wheel as your shifters are 10 speed. You can't use the 8-speed cassette.
  • Dudders29
    My current wheels are Fulcrum 7's with the bike having full 105 group set . The wheel at mo has Shimano 10 speed cassette
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I meant the freehub on the Campag wheels you're looking at buying.

The freehub could be for a Campag cassette or a SRAM/Shimano cassette. The splines are different so if the Campag wheels have a Campag freehub then you can only fit a Campag cassette on it and it won't work with the rest of your groupset (well there are ways and means, but for simplicity I'm not going there).

Also to help your understanding with the way a rear derailleur works, it is the shifter that is indexed, the derailleur is 'dumb' and simply moves based on the amount of cable that is pulled through by the shifter. As the overall range of movementof the rear derailleur is exactly the same for 8, 9 and 10 speed road derailleurs, the only thing that changes is the amount of cable that is pulled through by the shifter. 10 speed shifters pull less than 9 which in turn pull less than 8 which is why you can't use an 8 speed cassette with your 10 speed shifters. It just won't index properly.

If the campg wheels that you're looking at buying do have a a Shimano/SRAM freehub on, they will be fine but you will have to fit a 10 speed cassette.
  • Dudders29
    Thanks for the advice. It's a shame they ain't gonna work but oh hum such is life.