Whyte hardtail advice - 905 or 19 steel?

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've decided to buy a 2012 whyte 26er hardtaIl but can't decide between the 19 steel (http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_pag ... W-1-011-12) and alu 905 (http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_pag ... W-1-012-12).

Similar price & different specs which seem more or less equal to me. Alu will be lighter but steel should be a bit more comfy. Will be used mainly for all day natural stuff in Yorks, Lakes & The Highlands. A well informed friend of mine says the 905.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Also I'm 5'8''-5'9'' and all the charts say medium - please let me know if you disagree.

Thanks.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• Does your height change from 5' 8" to 5' 9"?
    I'd go for the steel though whatever the size.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Steel
  • passout
    FYI I'm five feet eight and a half inches or thereabouts :)

Thanks for your opinions gents.

Would still like to know if anyone has nay feedback on the 905. Is it a harsh ride?

Also any advice on sizing?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I can't answer for the 905, but I can as an owner of a 19 Steel tell you it is a joy to ride. It is so sure-footed and confident. Sizing wise, I'm 6ft 3 and ride a large. Though my proportions are all over the place (long legs, short body, long arms). The only real negatives I have about the bike are small, the seatpost is 27.2 limiting your dropper selection and the adjustable dropouts won't go all the way out to the +10mm position with a triple chainset
  • passout
    I can't answer for the 905, but I can as an owner of a 19 Steel tell you it is a joy to ride. It is so sure-footed and confident. Sizing wise, I'm 6ft 3 and ride a large. Though my proportions are all over the place (long legs, short body, long arms). The only real negatives I have about the bike are small, the seatpost is 27.2 limiting your dropper selection and the adjustable dropouts won't go all the way out to the +10mm position with a triple chainset

Thanks - the 905 is a 30.9 seatpost by the way & comes with a double rather than a triple, so it may score on those points. Glad you like the 19 so much - reassuring.

Decided on a medium but will obviously have a look at the bike(s) too & ride if poss.

Still can't decide between 905 and 19 steel though....although 905 is slightly in fromt at moment because it will be lighter & there have been a few reviews of it over the years, all of which were very positive.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Steel

This.
  • passout
    Any other info from Whyte hardtail users before I make my dercision & buy?
  • passout wrote:

I'm just under 5' 8 and ride a medium Whyte carbon 19c and it fits me perfectly, I've ridden a 905 at a demo day and it was a very capable bike, can't comment on the steel as I haven't ridden one.
  • passout
    Garabaldy wrote:
    passout wrote:

I'm just under 5' 8 and ride a medium Whyte carbon 19c and it fits me perfectly, I've ridden a 905 at a demo day and it was a very capable bike, can't comment on the steel as I haven't ridden one.

That is really useful, thanks - especailly the sizing, I'm thinking of the 905 due to weight...
  • Winstanley's have a 2011 19 alloy which looks like a really good spec for the money...

But if it were me i'd still go for the steel.
  • passout
    Yes, thanks, I'm looking at Winstanleys as it happens. FYI - 2012 905 is 1k and 2012 19 steel is 1100. See: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/categ ... tail_Bikes

Decided on the 905 (Medium) in the end. I like steel bikes but I want something light/fast with this bike. If it is a bit harsh the clearance for big tyres (my preference) looks good. Was very close to going for the steel.

Also getting it on cyclescheme so could be a grand off original rrp (of just under 1700 I think). Bargain.

Thanks all for your input.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I had a 905 (till it was nicked). It was a fantastic bike. I haven't ridden the steel so couldn't comment on your comparison, but if you are happy with the spec for the money then I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 905.
  • passout
    Update:

Just ordered the 905 medium from here: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike
    If interested you can get the 19 steel for 100 notes more - don't think they have a medium left now anyway. Great discount on both.

I almost went for the steel but in the end the weight put me off - I think the alu will suit my riding style & intended usage more often. If the back end is too harsh, I'll go for the biggest volume rear tyre I can at a relatively low PSI. Shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then a Thudbuster seatpost is my plan C!

I'm paying a grand plus 10% cyclescheme admin charge - so on cyclescheme it will about £700 over a year. Pleased with that.

Thanks once again for your input.
  • passout
    ANOTHER UP DATE: spent 5 hours in the Lkes on the 905 today. Loved it. Basically a light trail bike that is complient enough to ride all day. Geometry is excellent. The downhills & technical sections seemed easier than normal & climbing was fine. Not once did I wish for a less harsh ride - very comfortable. Kept everything the same except swapping the front tyre (aspen) to an advantage & sticking on the usual MTB 'mudguards'. Nothing struck me as a weakpoint.