SRAM inline FD barrel adjuster

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I'm hoping this is a really easy (and possibly stupid) question but I'm struggling to work out how to install the inline barrel front derailleur adjuster that comes with SRAM red shifters. As the ways of the barrel adjuster are so obvious to semi-competent people SRAM don't bother to include written instructions and I can't see any online.

First up, it comes in a packet with a screw. What's the screw for?

The adjuster seems to just spin round without tightening or loosening. Is that right? I'd have thought you would tighten it by hand before installing so it could be loosened/lengthened as the inner cable stretched?

There's a grey line visible on the the thicker end. Does that mean anything?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer and don't worry about patronising me as I've a feeling I'm just being thick.

Comments

• Ah, think I've worked it out. The adjuster is just mentally stiff so wouldn't turn by hand. I can see it unscrewing if loosely grip the end with pliers. Still no idea what the random screw is in the packet though......
  • Bugger - just cut through the outer to fit the adjuster, completely forgetting the inner was already inserted. Anyone know where to buy cheap Gore Ride On gear inners..........
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    :lol::lol: Not your day.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Bugger - just cut through the outer to fit the adjuster, completely forgetting the inner was already inserted. Anyone know where to buy cheap Gore Ride On gear inners..........
    Try ribble..