Intense Carbine

2»

Comments

• JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Pedals here!

r0bz.jpg

Very nice bits of kit to be fair. Larger length and breadth than my old pedals, same width and thinner, as well as tougher and lighter :)
    Oddly the axles don't have a flat face for spanner, just a large allan in the back which is a bit abnormal but if it works it works I guess.
    Bike is back tomorrow, shall stick them on and get some cycling in :D
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I prefer alan keys for pedals, it stops me punching chain rings when I put my pedals on too tight, it's also so difficult to take pedals off with the spanner, leverage is a nightmare, cranks turn with a spanner, but they don't with an allen key.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • JMcP92
    Bike has come home, pedals are on, they feel damn good! really grippy, nice platform and much thinner than my previous pedal, as well as thinner and lighter :)

fiwc.jpg

i6fm.jpg

Cassette could do with a good tidy up, but still no gearing issues :)

vfwo.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Lewis A wrote:
    I prefer alan keys for pedals,

Me too, much better. It's allen keys though :wink:
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Yeah, I just noticed that, I spelt it right the second time! Those Deltas are sexy!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • JMcP92
    edited March 2014
    So... it seems somebody was right about getting the Superstar pedals. While riding (fortunately a night ride around town, nothing difficult) the pedal felt really loose, and more attached to my shoe than the bike. I stopped to find the bearings had disintegrated and the platform had detached from the axle -_-
    They went back to Superstar, who immediately tried to replace them, but I asked for a refund as I grant you, this could be a total one-off issue, these things happen. However, did make me dubious of the pedals, and wouldn't want the same thing to happen on a big descent or something.

Anyway, pedals now replaced with a set of the new NC-17 pedals with an aluminium body, which will be stronger, which is all good :)
    Also changed the stem to a 50mm Kore Kubix and finally added a Reverb.
    Now, I don't wish to jump on the Reverb band wagon, but once you've ridden one, you'll never want to ride without one, so convenient, and so useful!

Currently the only fix needing done is the rotors, the rivets have come loose and it's making the rotors move back and fourth just a little from the rotor-body, which is a pain, and makes them noisy as holy hell. Got in touch with Wiggle and they'll replace them free of charge, just gotta send them back. Wiggle may be to blame for all things on this forum, as we know, however they're not a bad lot :)

vAM2kt0.jpg?1

BNFC1tf.jpg?1

7wJVEek.jpg

Spec as it currently stands is as follows:
    Frame: Intense Carbine - 152mm rear travel
    Fork: Fox Float 32 FIT 150 Kashima
    Shock: Fox RP23 ProPedal Kashima
    Headset: Hope
    BB: SRAM
    Wheels: Easton Haven
    Tyres: Schwalbe Hands Dampf
    Brakes: Hope Stealth Race M4 Evo
    Discs: Hope F183 R160
    Stem: Kore Kubix
    Bar: Kinesis Strut R750
    Grips: Bontrager Rhythm Lock-ons
    Bar-Ends: Hope
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb
    Seatpost clamp: Intense
    Saddle: Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon
    Pedals: NC-17 Sudpin III S-Pro CNC
    Shifters: Shimano XT M780 10spd
    Cassette: Shimano XT M780 10spd
    Crank: SRAM XX1
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT M780 Shadow+
    Rear Axle: DT Swiss Aluminium 142x12
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Your wardrobe looks a bit lonely.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Shame abouth the superstar pedals,tbh I think it's a one off as they are famed for their pedals
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I just love the hypocrisy going on here! :lol:

Superstar pedal fails - send back immediately, cheapy brand

Hope rotors fail - ask for new one cos it's hope innit
  • JMcP92
    There is the minor issue of the fact that it's a 183mm rotor, which nobody else does, which would mean a new front adaptor. That and Hope brakes are wider than most, meaning the pads would need set in were I to get different set.

Ultimately, it comes down to your opinions on a brand. This is the 4th Superstar product I've had fail on me, and the first Hope, if things consistently fail, I will begin to loose faith in the brand, this has already happened for SS unfortunately, however I'm not gonna write off another brand because of one issue.
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Superstars are cheap for a reason. now you know.

Don't put anything cheap and nasty on that beautiful bike. Its like running a performance car on budget tyres...you just wouldn't do it.
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    That's a really nice build.
  • JMcP92
    Recently been considering the possibility of making this 650b, Intense provide a G1 dropout that changes it for a 650b setup.
    Don't know if I will yet, be good to do, but would cost a fair chunk of money.
    I'd run Pike's on it, but I'm thinking wheels, anybody got some thoughts of something competitive to Havens but 650b?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I doubt you'll have to wait too long for some 650b Havens to come out
  • JMcP92
    DCR00 wrote:
    I doubt you'll have to wait too long for some 650b Havens to come out

Very true, I expect they're on their way, however when new they'll no doubt be around the RRP of the 26", which was round about £800, which is steep.
    I could chose to put some second hand wheels on it for the time being until I can get a nice deal on some good bits on shiny, just considering if I want to swap it all around at the moment, I am very tempted to.
  • DCR00
    You've only had it 5 mins
  • lawman
    DCR00 wrote:

He only his On One 5 minutes before he decided he didn't like it...
  • JMcP92
    lawman wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Never disliked the On One, was great fun :D simply decided I wanted to go full sus after many years of riding HT.
    Anyway, after changing from On One to Slackline to Cotic (granted the Slackline had issues) are you gonna tell me that building, changing and upgrading isn't fun?

+In all seriousness, very true, only had it since July, but I'm keen to see what all the fuss of 650b is about. I'll be working in the summer, and if funds allow, I may go and find out :)
  • lawman
    JMcP92 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Never disliked the On One, was great fun :D simply decided I wanted to go full sus after many years of riding HT.
    Anyway, after changing from On One to Slackline to Cotic (granted the Slackline had issues) are you gonna tell me that building, changing and upgrading isn't fun?

+In all seriousness, very true, only had it since July, but I'm keen to see what all the fuss of 650b is about. I'll be working in the summer, and if funds allow, I may go and find out :)

Aye it's fun, tbh I thought the On One wasn't great, good geometry and all but it was seriously harsh! I wouldn't bother trying to convert a 26er to 650b, even if they do dropouts for it. It's not going to ride as well as it would if it had been designed around the wheels. I think if you're going to go 650b, you have to go the whole way, which considering to swap this over to 650b and do it properly you'd need at least a new fork and wheels, perhaps selling this frame and getting one of the newer tracers would be a better option.
  • DCR00
    I shouldn't complain. Its guys like you that keep the 2nd hand bike market nice and healthy
  • lawman
    DCR00 wrote:
    I shouldn't complain. Its guys like you that keep the 2nd hand bike market nice and healthy

I presume you mean the OP?
  • DCR00
    lawman wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Yep

Without guys like him, i would have paid way more than £700 for Tracey + 36s
  • lawman
    DCR00 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Yep

Without guys like him, i would have paid way more than £700 for Tracey + 36s

I was gonna say I've only sold like 2 bikes! :lol: I still can't believe thats all you paid for that, I was looking at 1st slopestyles to build as a mini DH bike and could find nothing below £600!