How do you tighten up pedal bearings (childs plastic pedal)

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited October 2013 in The workshop
Seemingly O/T (neither 3yo or I commute on the thing) I'm trying to fix the pedal on the lad's first bike. It's spent years outside in all weathers and the pedal seized and fell of just as he's learning to pedal the thing. On such a small bike the thread is smaller than on big bikes too so I can't just swap out the pedal.

The outer bearing cone being tightened sufficiently I need to hold it still whilst tightening up the locknut. There is about enough space to get the socket in the pedal body to tighten up the locknut but no way I can see to stop the cone moving.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH buy some new ones. they sound dead. threads should be 1/2" thread and from a Fiver.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    craker wrote:
    Seemingly O/T (neither 3yo or I commute on the thing) I'm trying to fix the pedal on the lad's first bike. It's spent years outside in all weathers and the pedal seized and fell of just as he's learning to pedal the thing. On such a small bike the thread is smaller than on big bikes too so I can't just swap out the pedal.

The outer bearing cone being tightened sufficiently I need to hold it still whilst tightening up the locknut. There is about enough space to get the socket in the pedal body to tighten up the locknut but no way I can see to stop the cone moving.

Any suggestions?

There should be a non rotating washer between the cone and locknut.

Else start loose and use trial and error, or it there is room slide a jewellers screwdriver in to stop the cone moving.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    16mm wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. Now where's it gone..?
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    craker wrote:
    16mm wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. Now where's it gone..?
    Has it rolled under the table?