Front brake honking after new rotor.

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
New rotors fitted onto my new wheels. Fitted them last night expecting a bit of rotor rub maybe. Rear is fine but the front makes a horrible honking noise (doesn't if the wheel is spun backwards though)

Video of the noise below.
th_20131006_103129_zpsd29cde38.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Needs to bed in, so material is on the surface and any crap has burnt off.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and you did clean it first didn't you?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cubedean
    Rotor cleaned first and bedded in via drag and water method. Still honking so bad I don't even want to ride up the road. Pads appear to have no copper grease on the back though so that's my next port of call.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's a method is it? Copper grease is a bad idea.
  • cubedean
    That's a method is it? Copper grease is a bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea? That's the cleaning method I found on the pinkbike guide. I will probably try rubbing the rotor down with fine sand paper?
  • Rubbing a brand new rotor would just remove the pad material you want on it for braking . The point of bedding in in the first place .
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You probably just need to realign the brakes and wear then in a bit. Sometimes this has to be done by eye rather than losening off the brake mount bolts a bit, pulling on the brakes and then tightening up the bolts while holding the brake on. Other posibilities are your QR is not tight enough or the pads have somehow become contaminated.
  • cubedean
    Now sorted. Centralised the caliper and sanded the leading edge of the pads.