Wiggle New Forest Sportive - thoughts/comments?

2»

Comments

• Rule #17 applies!!
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Think you are always going to get mixed views from locals whichever part of the country you're in.

When I drove through Lyndhurst on Friday evening I noticed a sign outside a Cafe saying 'Wiggle Cyclists Welcome, Nimby People not'. So some local businesses certainly appreciate the extra business.

I saw the same sign :D think it was outside a cycling friendly B&B. There's also one with a penny farthing outside (might be the same one)

That was it - the one with the penny farthing
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I live not far from the new forest and have to say that Wiggle should either tone down the event ie numbers or move part of the route outside the forest, there's loads of options in the area.

My reasons for this bold statement are ....

The forest is a fairly unique place and attracts people that would prefer imo to enjoy this special space in peace.
    This isnt a challenging route for a bike ride, even for someone new to cycling.
    Traffic through the park should be massively limited and slowed to less than 20 mph.
    Or perhaps close the park to all traffic apart from walkers.

ooo!!! and before you burn me at the stake, there are a couple of sportives that start just on the outside/edge of the forest and pop in and out of various edges without upsetting the locals or spoiling this area of natural beauty.

there i said it

bleeding lycra louts the lot of ya :roll: :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It's not just the Wiggle sportive though is it ...

My brother and I went to Hatchet pond to watch our wives do the NF Cycletta on sunday - the amount of impatient, bad and sometimes downright dangerous driving was appalling. Given that many of the riders were clearly novice and uncertain on road positioning you would've thought the vehicle drivers would've given them a bit more time & space. I'm not quite sure how I didn't get on my bike and chase a few down ...
  • khisanth
    khisanth Posts: 41
    I did the one in autumn last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Was a fairly easy course, really nice scenery, nice weather and well organised. There are always people with less experience of cycling, group riding etc but you quickly get past them.

I don't care at all if people are sat behind me, what difference does it make whether someone is there or not?! There is a great photo of me with 6 people all behind me, I never even noticed!

As for team kit, I have no problem with anyone wearing it they are supporting a team or brand, nothing wrong with that. Wear what you want! However if you wear a king of the mountains jersey, make sure you are good at climbing :)

Am looking forward to the next one in a couple of weeks.