The Godfather 2 - Ugh 2!

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Watched the second installment today. Not convinced that this installment of the trilogy is much better than the first. Now expecting someone to tell me the third and final part is the best.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Don't get your hopes up.
    Widely regarded as the worst. By far.
    If you didn't enjoy I & II give up the ghost.

I would question your taste but respect that your taste is different.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I've enjoyed all three and agree that no 3 is the least impressive. However I believe the first is the best. Part 2 is too convoluted.

Back in the eighties someone re-edited the first two films into chronological order and added lots of unused footage to make a TV series (a bit like the expanded Lord of The Rings) and that made a lot more sense than watching the second film as it was released.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Part III is not as bad as its reputation would have you believe... but if you didn't like the first two, why waste 3 more hours of your life?
  • mrfpb wrote:
    I've enjoyed all three and agree that no 3 is the least impressive. However I believe the first is the best. Part 2 is too convoluted.

+1
  • No 2 is my favourite personally, from the big party set-up at the beginning, to Michael Corleone's descent into hell as he manipulates and finally 'deals with' his various family members. We all have our own opinions of course, but as a film I think Godfather 2 is not far from being a an epic.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    No 2 is my favourite personally, from the big party set-up at the beginning, to Michael Corleone's descent into hell as he manipulates and finally 'deals with' his various family members. We all have our own opinions of course, but as a film I think Godfather 2 is not far from being a an epic.

These box set of the trilogy was a gift on a forgotten comment about me having never watched this so called epic film series. I would say they are epic in their length. Certainly the sequel is better than the first movie. And it is a clever script in watching Michael's decent into hell. However there were massive gaps in the story which I just couldn't fathom out ie; The congressional hearings into the Mafia. How did this come about and how was Michael Corleone implicated. Am pretty sure that the story line for this went missing.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • daviesee
    Mr Goo wrote:
    However there were massive gaps in the story which I just couldn't fathom out ie; The congressional hearings into the Mafia. How did this come about and how was Michael Corleone implicated. Am pretty sure that the story line for this went missing.
    Without giving spoilers, the link was Geary.
  • mrfpb
    daviesee wrote:
    Without giving spoilers, the link was Geary

Without giving spoilers, the link was Roth. Or was it Pentangeles?
  • daviesee
    mrfpb wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Ah, they were involved but Geary was on the commission.
  • mrfpb
    daviesee wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Ah, they were involved but Geary was on the commission.

SPOILERS

Geary was very much in Corleone's pocket (following the gruesome hotel room scene) which is why he dipped out before Corleone's testimony. The chairman was Roth's man (according to Fredo). Roth was pulling the strings on Pentangeles as he made him believe that Corleone had tried to kill him, hence Pentangeles initially agreeing to testify. So Roth was the main man behind the Congressional hearings.
  • mrfpb
    I think I've watched this film too much. I'll watch it again next time its on.
  • daviesee
    mrfpb wrote:
    Stuff
    Concedes and leaves..... :wink:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    mrfpb wrote:

I'm with you there - I always hear how amazing 2 is but I like the original better.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • mrfpb
    I think the key line to understanding the second films odd structure are in part one

"I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family" is something Vito Corleone says to Michael Corleone, as part of his handover of the family headship. The second film shows Vito's early life and Michael's subsequent headship of the family to contrast their completely different motivations with regard to power and family.

I'm becoming a bit of a Godfather geek on this thread. Maybe I should stop posting.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    On the subject of "Ugh", try 28 Days Later

That's really quite scary

Godfather 3 is cack, IIRC

It's just a hill. Get over it.