29er Tyres

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone have any recommendations for good winter tyres for a 29er please?

I generally do light to medium trails with a fair bit of mud and tree roots.

My main ride takes me to the woods which is 9 miles each way, which I ride - so I ideally need a tyre which will roll okay and yet provide enough grip for the mud and roots.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    There isnt a tyre that will ride ok and be good in mud and roots doesnt exist !
    I use conti race kings in the summer on my good wheels and mountain kings on my cheap wheels for the winter gloop . Both in black chilli flavour ,normal conti s are sh't.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • I'm using a 2.0 beaver front and a 2.0 bonty mud on the rear.

Grips like feck but does feel a bit 70's cop car if you lean in hard :lol:
  • Macdory
    Daft question time - what makes the BlackChilli tyres better? Can you really tell that much of a difference?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The compound and yes,
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JayKay3000
    JayKay3000 Posts: 163
    edited October 2013
    +1 for the black chilli mountain kings. I ride the stock and while it's OK I will be changing it soon. Nothing more boring than not being able to ride your favourite trail fast because your tires suck.
  • I ran nobby nics front and back on my 29er and it seemed to grip well. Also rolled fast i thought aswell.
  • Nobby Nics on mine and the missus 29ers. Grip reasonably well on mud, grit, loose crap and tree roots, not so good on flat wet rock. Not the best tyre for roads / pavements.
  • I'm on Hans damf. Love em.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    On One Smorgasboard extreme dual compound are feeling very good on my bike. Currently £19.99 which is a steal for a folding tyre.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM29X225/on_one_smorgasbord_29x225_tyre
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Macdory
    On One tyres look okay, but that logo looks like something you would buy from a Pound Shop - or is that just me?

Half the price of the Conti's too ... tempting ...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Macdory wrote:
    On One tyres look okay, but that logo looks like something you would buy from a Pound Shop - or is that just me?

Agree Logo is crap but the price more than makes up for it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    stubs wrote:
    Macdory wrote:

Agree Logo is crap but the price more than makes up for it.

+1 for these tyres. Cover the logo in mud if you don't like it
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Macdory
    Bought the On One tyres for £34 for two delivered ... Voucher Code UKTYRE15
  • I would rather ride in bare rims than the oe wire bead mountain kings that came on my bike .
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i do exactly this type of riding alot over winter - road and then wood mud filled trails - and recently put some spesh purgatory (F) and groundcontrol (R), both in the newr 2.3 and they are fantastic.
    I ve got tubeless and run about 30/25 for this sort of riding.
  • Macdory
    mamba80 wrote:
    i do exactly this type of riding alot over winter - road and then wood mud filled trails - and recently put some spesh purgatory (F) and groundcontrol (R), both in the newr 2.3 and they are fantastic.
    I ve got tubeless and run about 30/25 for this sort of riding.

Ta - I'll see how I get on with the On-One tyres ... especially as they are basically half the price of the Spesh/Conti's

I just need to get that poundland logo nice and muddy :)
  • Macdory
    I put them on the bike and took them for a ride today in the wind and mud.

They don't roll as well as my previous Kenda tires which came with the bike, so the road sections were hard work (especially into the wind). However, once I took them around the nature reserve (mixture of sand, mud and tree roots) they came into their own - I was especially impressed when going up a sandy slope and I was able to just power up without any wheel spinning.

My 2 hour ride took an extra 10 minutes today - i'd put a good 5 of that down to the wind, and the rest is probably down to the lower average speed using these tires. Saying that, I would have probably lost similar time with my older tires as I wouldn't have been able to get through the mud and sand as I did today.

For autumn/winter riding the On-One's are great - felt solid on the slippy stuff and I gained a lot of confidence going into the turns.

I can always put the Kenda's back on next spring when the weather is a bit nicer.

All in all, I thoroughly recommend these On-One tires - especially for the price.

Thank you for recommending them.
  • Macdory
    Okay, so the summer is here ...

I put my Kenda's back on, and had a lot of problems today. Trying to get up a reasonably steep incline with loose ground and I ended up just wheel-spinning to a halt.

Any recommendations for good fast rolling tyres, which also provide reasonable grip?

Also, i've just moved to Henley, so exploring the area around Bix Manor ... some nice mountain biking country from what I have found so far, but it is like a rabbit warren - I have not come out at the same place twice yet! Does anyone have any good routes that they wish to share? I have a Garmin 500 - if you can share the course that would be great!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Macdory wrote:
    Okay, so the summer is here ...

I put my Kenda's back on, and had a lot of problems today. Trying to get up a reasonably steep incline with loose ground and I ended up just wheel-spinning to a halt.

Any recommendations for good fast rolling tyres, which also provide reasonable grip?

To ask an obvious question, why not put the Smorgasbords back on? The sort of tyres that roll fast on the road are generally at their best on hard dry surfaces with minimal loose stuff, not mud or sand or loose rocks.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Budget?

Panaracer Fire XC Pro work well for your sort of use, reasonably fast rolling on tarmac and grip well (but not brilliantly) in a wide range of conditions, shop around and folders can be had for circa £20-23 each.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.