Tortec reflectors

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
I have a question regarding the above guards that i have fitted to my Kaff.

Basically its for redvee.

How did you cut down the stays?

or anyone else that has permanent guards, how did you cut down extra long stays?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If there are like the SS metal stays on SKS 'guards, sharp cutting edge on pliers & plenty of wrist strength or junior hacksaw & some patience. Hoping to re-use mine when the tortecs turn up next week.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Dremel with a cutting blade fitted.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Dremel with a cutting blade fitted.

Looking at the end of one stay I used a pair of mini bolt cutters and used a file to remove the sharp edges before I put the rubber Gromits on the end, though Veronese suggestion of Dremel is quick and easy assuming you have such a tool. Measure twice, cut once. I set my guards for running 32c tyres so have plenty of clearance betwixt tyre and guard
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rubertoe
    Sorted it with a pair of 3.99 cable cutters from Planet X. They are turning out to be a pretty good buy.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Pair of new pliers did for mine... quick smoothing off of the face and on with the caps (which lasted all of a week)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • haywire
    haywire Posts: 23
    Hello all,

Looking to join the Tortec/Kaff movement - what size did you use? 27-35 perhaps? I have some SKS P45s (bought for my touring bike), but I can't see those fitting.
  • rubertoe
    I use the 27-35 and am running 28's.

• haywire
    Great. Thanks - now all I need to do is find a suitable rack to clip my crusty old pannier onto
  • redvee
    haywire wrote:
    Great. Thanks - now all I need to do is find a suitable rack to clip my crusty old pannier onto

Think I went wider on the guards with the intention of running 32s when the weather goes bad. I went with a Tortec Tour Ultralite rack which is wide enough for a rack bag.
    The rack and guards are mounted on the inside of the dropouts, other Kaff owners will know what I mean with this cause of the swap dropouts making the frame wider.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    rubertoe wrote:
    Sorted it with a pair of 3.99 cable cutters from Planet X. They are turning out to be a pretty good buy.
    My LBS warned me off this. They said cable cutters worked fine for a while and then the cable cutters fell apart (although I guess they would be cutting a few more mud guard stays than you or I would).
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    redvee wrote:
    Looking at the end of one stay I used a pair of mini bolt cutters and used a file to remove the sharp edges before I put the rubber Gromits on the end
    As I was getting my bike out of the garage one morning a year or so back I glanced at one of the rear mudguard stays and noticed it was sans rubber end cap and looked quite sharp. I decided it had probably been like that for ages, then immediately popped the bike up onto its back wheel and jammed the insanely sharp stay into my knee. Still have a small scar for my trouble. Just took a file to it and it's fine now.
  • haywire
    redvee wrote:
    haywire wrote:

Think I went wider on the guards with the intention of running 32s when the weather goes bad. I went with a Tortec Tour Ultralite rack which is wide enough for a rack bag.
    The rack and guards are mounted on the inside of the dropouts, other Kaff owners will know what I mean with this cause of the swap dropouts making the frame wider.

Decided to order a Tortec Transalp - looks a bit overkill for my needs, but the price was good and have heard that it fits the disc Kaff ok. Mine is a Kaff 2, so no swap dropouts, don't think there's room to mount anything inside of the eyelets.
  • rubertoe
    Graeme_S wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    My LBS warned me off this. They said cable cutters worked fine for a while and then the cable cutters fell apart (although I guess they would be cutting a few more mud guard stays than you or I would).

I tend not to cut many cables either.

If they were silly priced Park/Pedros tools, I probably would of found another method.

• rubertoe
    haywire wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    haywire wrote:

Decided to order a Tortec Transalp - looks a bit overkill for my needs, but the price was good and have heard that it fits the disc Kaff ok. Mine is a Kaff 2, so no swap dropouts, don't think there's room to mount anything inside of the eyelets.

Stick some pictures up when you have fitted...

• redvee
    My rear end set-up.

kdta.jpg
  • haywire
    Well it seems I ended up getting bog ordinary Tortec Chromo-tecs instead. Oh well. Anyway, here's an odd thing while fitting the front - the Tortec safety clip thingy is sufficiently large (and they eyelet sufficiently close to the dropout) that it fouls the QR nut. In the rather poor cameraphone picture below, I've used an SKS one (which does fit - nicked it off my Galaxy). Tortec one on the right as comparison.

CAM00062_2.jpg

I'll get this done eventually...