Wheel size confusion??

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Been riding a Cannondale Flash (26 nch wheels) for a while and just about top move to a Scott Spark Expert 29'er.

Whats all the hype with 650b wheels now................thought 29'ers were 'it' but now they seem to be getting slated for 650b wheels.

Is this just another marketing ploy or is there genuine merit in it and do I need to consider it before I commit??
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are buying one because it's 'it', it's the marketing hype that's got you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Can of worms........open :wink:

My opinion?As with 29ers,650b is a marketing ploy....and people will fall for it :lol:
    29ers have been around years(mate had one back in 2007)and were slated until about 18 months ago.650b has been around a while now and the manufacturers have decided it's time to push it as they've milked the 29er bandwagon :roll:

Me I'm sticking to next years "must have".......26" :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a 26er and a 29er both of which are good hardtail bikes to ride. My preference is the 29er as fits my XC riding style more. My wife has recently bought a 26er in the sales and loves it.

Just get the right bike for you.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    As above i have a 29er hardtail which i use for commuting and xc stuff where its a lot faster and rolls over obstacles better than my 26 er ever did but for trail centre and playing out in the boondogs i use my 26 full suss its more manoevrable feels smaller etc .
    Im thinking of upgrading the full suss next year and looks like it'll have to be a 650 as most manufacturers are killing the 26 full suss unfortunately .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • sniper68
    tarbot18 wrote:
    As above i have a 29er hardtail which i use for commuting and xc stuff where I fell for the hype and believe its a lot faster and rolls over obstacles better than my 26 er ever did
    Fixed that for you :mrgreen:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    ibbo68 wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    As above i have a 29er hardtail which i use for commuting and xc stuff where I fell for the hype and believe its a lot faster and rolls over obstacles better than my 26 er ever did

Slightly off topic.. Love your 26 INCH nukeproof mega :)
  • sniper68
    ej2320 wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:

Slightly off topic.. Love your 26 INCH nukeproof mega :)
    Cheers!
    Cant fault it...especially as it has the correct sized wheels :P
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have kinda ordered a 650b frame.. Although it was £200 cheaper than the 26 version
    Although I don't believe it will be any faster than my 26"
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd stick to your original plan but for what its worth there is an advantage to having just one size of tyre/tube in your shed - cheaper / easier. For XC, 29ers will be a little faster on average but I'm sticking to my 26er.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.