Cleats

JackHobbs4
JackHobbs4 Posts: 5
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

I am looking for some pedals, cleats and shoes that will fit eachother but not to sure what fits what or how to work it out. Can anyone link me some guides, or places i can buy whole deals?

Thanks

Comments

• chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    If you fancy a cheap setup then I can recommend shimano spd r540 pedals (which come with sh-11 floating cleats). All you need then are some road shoes (3 holes in a triangle)

My mate has got some muddyfox road shoes and they've been great for the past 18 months.

The above can be done for about £40
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Look Keo Easy pedals with cleats £34 lots of different shoes take them, the world is your lobster.
  • Look cleats also fit other makes of pedals - let me speak to Yossie and he'll come up with the name. Keo Easy start in the sales at about £20 but Yossie says go for the next ones up as they have tension adjustment and are still cheap as chips, last ages and if you do break them you won't get emotional as they are dirt cheap.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Exustar do Look type and are cheaper than the Look branded ones.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If they're for a commuter bike get SPD shoes and cleats, not SPD-SL. SLs are harder to clip into and if you miss the shiny plastic underside of the shoe will give you no grip on the pedal, not fun at junctions.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    unixnerd wrote:
    If they're for a commuter bike get SPD shoes and cleats, not SPD-SL. SLs are harder to clip into and if you miss the shiny plastic underside of the shoe will give you no grip on the pedal, not fun at junctions.

Ha, it's a fun challenge! I've only ever struggled at lights on a hill though. Sometimes have to pedal with the plastic underneath a couple of revs carefully till I speed up then clip in again but worse case scenario just apologise to the car you fell against!

Take a bit of getting used to but 9/10 my cleat easily finds the pedal.

If you do decide on spd's then consider the newer 'light action' type. Apparently a lot easier to clip in and out of!