Cervelo New P3

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
IMG_9568_zps0a4c763b.jpg

I managed to pick up what was, I think, the first used one of these framesets to appear on eBay for just under £1300. Some of the drivetrain, the callipers, the saddle and the front wheel also came from eBay or classifieds.

It was a really gigantic PITA to cable. Much harder than any of the other bikes I've built.

Build:
Frame & fork: Cervelo P3 54cm
Bars, pads, aero: Zipp Vuka Alumina (40cm bars and ski tip aeros)
Head unit: Joule 2.0 (not mounted)
Stem: 3T Arx -17 deg 120mm

Brake callipers: Simkins Eggs
Brake pads: Reynolds Blue
Brake levers: Tektro cheapies
Brake cables: Generic barrel end fit
Brake cable outers: Campy

Shifters: Campy 11s alu
Gear cables: Campy
Gear cable outers: Generic

Front Mech: Campy Chorus 11s
Crankset: Quarq Riken/SRAM
Chainrings: Rotor Q 50/34

Chain: Campy 11s
Rear Mech: Campy Chorus 11s
Cassette: Campy Chorus 12/25 11s

Saddle: Adamo Road
BTS: X Lab Super Wing
Cages: Bontrager RL Tri Cages x2

Pedals: Merckx Podio (the Choice Of Champions!)
Bottom Bracket: Rotor BBright to GXP 4624

Front Wheel: Reynolds Strike
Tyre: Michelin Pro4 Race 20mm
Rear Wheel: Reynolds Assault with Aerojacket disc cover
Tyre: Michelin Pro4 Race 23mm
Inners: Contis + extenders
Sticker: Ebay
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• borat_nice.jpg
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    Looks fast!
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    Looks the business. If it rides ad fast as it looks, you'll be flying!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    That looks mean.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Compact chainset?
  • Compact chainset?

'fraid so. I'm knocking on a bit these days, and bought the compact Quarq because I was finding it harder to push the 39 in the mountains. This year the two biggest rides were the Marmotte and IMC, both of which have a fair amount of climbing, and where I used that chainset (because of the PM) on other bikes.

I am, however, on the lookout for a second Quarq with a 130 bcd. I am thinking of putting a 52/36 Q ring set up on that. The thing I haven't bottomed out is whether I can, because it used to be the case that you could only use Rotor's OCP3 Q rings with the early Quarqs.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    ooh la la
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Very nice. Check out Poker Faces P5 with the magura R88s. That's my dream TT rig.
  • This one? viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12913160&hilit=P5

Yeah, that looks pretty bloody fast. Reminds me of the only good line in The Phantom Menace: "There's always a bigger fish"!

Pretty interesting to read that he found a 20W advantage through wind tunnel testing. Might pm him about that to see whether he has before and after pictures.

P5 falls into my "very pretty" camp. I thought the old P3 was a bit meh, and the P4 was a dog's dinner. The New P3 with P5 trickle down does it for me though.

I looked at Maguras but couldn't be bothered trying to get to grips with the hydraulics. And the fact that one of the Tektros ain't never coming out of the bullhorn ruled them out. The Simkins are *not* easy to or cable though.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    £1300 is good! ...what are the two dots on the top tube? (or are they on the wardrobe doors?)

EDIT, just saw they are £1695 new (perhaps less) http://www.5339.co.uk/cervelo-p3-white-black ...tempting at that price
  • mfin wrote:
    £1300 is good! ...what are the two dots on the top tube? (or are they on the wardrobe doors?)

Mounting screws, for a bento box of the sort that you mount to the frame (as opposed to the traditional ones that fasten with Velcro strips. It's a triathlon thing, long course mostly.

There's also a couple on the underside of the downtube, towards the bottom, in the black area of the tube. I think they are for a Di2 battery mount.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Stunning TT bike mate :)
    How do you find the ISM Road?, I didn't get on with a demo version I borrowed, am now trying out a breakaway with much more positive results
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Compact chainset?

'fraid so. I'm knocking on a bit these days, and bought the compact Quarq because I was finding it harder to push the 39 in the mountains. This year the two biggest rides were the Marmotte and IMC, both of which have a fair amount of climbing, and where I used that chainset (because of the PM) on other bikes.

I am, however, on the lookout for a second Quarq with a 130 bcd. I am thinking of putting a 52/36 Q ring set up on that. The thing I haven't bottomed out is whether I can, because it used to be the case that you could only use Rotor's OCP3 Q rings with the early Quarqs.

Fair enough if you're doing marmotte on it! Lovely frame by the way, I was watching eBay for ages for a p3 but gave up...
  • cerv50 wrote:
    Stunning TT bike mate :)
    How do you find the ISM Road?, I didn't get on with a demo version I borrowed, am now trying out a breakaway with much more positive results

An acquired taste, I think it's fair to say. It took 2-3 weeks of hating it before it - or I - suddenly "clicked" and it became really comfortable. Odd really, as with my other saddles (Selle SLR & Spesh Toupe) I just got on them and off I went.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    £1300...