Time for tyre change 28 to 32

michaelopolis
michaelopolis Posts: 6
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
I own a boardman hybrid comp which currently has the standard 700x28 vittoria tyres it came with.
The side walls on these are starting to come apart so its time for new tyres, ive been thinking of some Schwalbe Marathon Plus, but wondering if i should move from size 28 up to 32 for a bit of added comfort.
Anyone any experience on changing between these 2 sizes ?

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My tourer has Marathon 28s, good solid tyres but very heavy and slow. Previously I had 32s (don't remember brand) and going to the 28s made the bike respond a bit better so I can only imagine they weighed a ton!

If you want comfort stick with what you have and lower the tyre pressure a bit.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Can your hybrid cope with 32mm width tyres? Some road bike style hybrids (i.e. road bikes but with flat bars) might only be able to cope with 28mm width as a maximum.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Also depends on rim width, to narrow a rim and you risk pulling the tyre off sideways.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Marathon plus has a very stiff sidewall and is quite an unyielding tyre. I think it works better in wider sizes.
    I have used plain Marathon in both sizes; it is a different tyre but the 28 works well on road , the 32 is better on tracks and trails.
  • personally using 28c rubino pro's for winter on my roadie think they're great
  • I run Specialized Borough 32c on my Cross Bike which commutes quite regularly and they run fine on tarmac or off-road.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I've been running SMP 28s for two years and no punctures so great in this respect but they are dead to ride on and very heavy. I've now fitted Vittoria Randonneur pro 2's in 32c and they are great. Nearly half the weight of theSMPs and no p*******s yet!!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I think M+ are overkill unless you have a route that is liberally scattered with glass, nails or blackthorn that cause frequent punctures. Why not try the standard Marathon, Randonneur or Durano first?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    I have a Boardman hybrid also and it runs 32's no problem. I use conti Sport Contacts and have only had 1 puncture in 4 years.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I had 28 marathon plus over last winter and they were punctured once by a very large, very sharp piece of metal. So were pretty much ideal for a winter commute on the roads. I wouldn't say they were uncomfortable but they are most certainly heavy. In comparison, I am using 23c GatorHardskins now which weigh 330g (wire bead version) vs the 700x28c marathon plus last year which weigh 740g!

If you are on the road then get the 28, if you are on paths then the 32 might be better, but the difference will be minimal.