Wheel refurb. - nooby questions

rfretwell
rfretwell Posts: 30
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Can someone please lighten my darkness?

Being a Yorkshireman and therefore keenly aware of the cost of things (and also a newby), I bought two s/hand wheels (no tyres) to re-furbish and learn a bit about what's what.

Replaced axles and cones, new ball bearings, re-greased freehub, all going ticketty-boo and then :-

1/ When the rear hub is re-assembled, the top of the drive-side cone sits just outside the rim of the freehub - but not enough to get a spanner on to hold it whilst I tighten the locknut. The cone is the same height as the one I took off (12mm) but because the spanner-flats are below the rim of the freehub I can only get a cone-spanner in there at an angle, hence the spanner body fouls the locknut. Should there have been a taller cone on there in the first place or is something wrong?

2/ 700 type wheels, inner rim width is 16mm; what size tube and tyres do I need?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    1 lock the drive side before installing the axle. Adjust on the non drive side.

2 700 x 23c tyres are standard. You may prefer wider but that depends on clearances around the tyre (frame seat tube and fork crown usually).