broke my wrist

unixnerd
unixnerd Posts: 2,864
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
My cat broke his back leg and on Monday I was going to have to drive to the next village and collect him. But I'd some shopping to do first so went off on the mtb, nice day so took the long way home. Noticed they'd put in a lowered kerb to get from the road to the cycle path so headed over it. Must have been to shallow an angle / too high a kerb / grit but I went flying.

Bike OK. I have a little road rash and a broken right radius (in 7 bits) now sporting a nice titanium plate. Walked a few 100m to the docs and got x-rayed there, then off to Inverness by ambulance. NHS were quick and very professional, couldn't have asked for better.

No pain but I'm in a soft mega bandage for two weeks and then four more until I can ride or drive, I'm a contractor so big financial loss too. Nice to be able to spend some time at home though, I work in Aberdeen four days a week and get homesick a lot. Can move fingers fine and surprised I'm in so little pain.

Ho hum.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    That's a shame... Nasty injury. Hope you heal soon
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Oh, that's annoying.
    If you can move your fingers and doing so won't affect your wrist I would say do it as much as possible. Presumably you will be having some sort of physio later. Do everything they say, a lot.
    Having injured my hand a year ago, and doing all my physio, it is still quite stiff. I still have to do some of my exercises to keep it mobile.
    A friends wife broke her wrist a while ago and refuses to do the physio as it hurts. She can barely use what is now a claw.
    Again, sorry to hear that. Hope you heal fast and completely.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Oh dear, get well soon.
    As you said, try and enjoy the break (from work, not the wrist!) even if it is enforced
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yikes I hope is wasn't the good arm ...?

:wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • unixnerd
    Yikes I hope is wasn't the good arm ...?

It was the right, luckily I'm left handed.

I managed to break it "forwards", i.e. I rolled onto the back of my hand rather than the palm. 20% are like that I'm told.
  • Unlucky but at least you know it's mending and there's no pain.

Did something similar but didn't break a bone and I've been in pain - so much so I can't hold a handlebar - for 4 weeks. I'm assuming it's my age that it's taking so long to heal.

Anyway, it'll teach me not to slip off the cycle path and try to get back on sideways. :(
  • Rotten luck, chap.

Although the whole thing is a bummer, having a speedy diagnosis is good. I was sent away from A&E with a Velcro-strap thingy and told "Don't take it off - fracture clinic is in two weeks". Two weeks later, told it wasn't broken, and the support was the worst the worst thing to do :roll:

Get well soon.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I though mounting a kerb was a fundamental skill for any cyclist :cheeky:

Hope you heal up OK. And like others have said, do what the physios says, I broke my right elbow back when I was 14 and didn't take physio seriously enough, it's been playing up lately, trapped nerve or something. Learn from my mistake.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    How is your cat?
  • unixnerd
    How is your cat?

First pin in his leg displaced so they had a second go. This is holding and we may get him back tomorrow :-) His two brothers and I really miss him. He's a big fit hunter of a puss so the local mice must be throwing a party!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Well, now you and the cat have something in common.

Ours was run over by a neighbour when he was young. They can recover very well. Much better than peopl!

Bad luck on the break. I concur with moving it as much as possible. As soon as the cast is off and you've seen a physio, do what you are told!
  • itboffin
    As long as i live i will never forget my wife's attempt to hop a very small curb across the canal footpath which was followed a comedy slow motion tumble into the stinging nettles and me pissing myself with laughter
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • unixnerd
    Bet you ended up cooking your own tea for a bit.....
  • itboffin
    unixnerd wrote:
    Bet you ended up cooking your own tea for a bit.....

you so dont know me ..
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    Rotten luck, chap.

Although the whole thing is a bummer, having a speedy diagnosis is good. I was sent away from A&E with a Velcro-strap thingy and told "Don't take it off - fracture clinic is in two weeks". Two weeks later, told it wasn't broken, and the support was the worst the worst thing to do :roll:

Get well soon.

Mmm I did something at work, no idea what, which I thought had led to a broken wrist. Temporary cast overnight and then told it was tendon/ligament damage and given a splint. Contradictory advice....

Still hurts a bit too.
  • unixnerd
    So a wee update. Most importantly the cat's broken leg is healing but he has a bit of muscle damage. Today three weeks after the op my big support bandage (not cast) came off. It's all healing wonderfully, I can heartily recommend getting a plate rather than a cast. I have about 95% use of my hand and maybe 75% of my wrist. Have been told not to lift anything over 2kg just now but doc says I can try driving and cycling in about two weeks. Cross country skiing by mid-December should be fine. I'm in a light support now which can come off for a few hours a day. Wound from surgery to fit plate has healed really well too. It was a nasty fracture with seven sections damaged so this is great news.

Can't say enough about the good folks at Aviemore medical centre and Raigmore hospital Inverness. One of the nice things for a remote area like the Highlands is the ability to take digitised x-rays locally in our village and have the consultant in Inverness see them right away, a real game changer for patients who might otherwise have to travel long distances.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    unixnerd wrote:
    . Have been told not to lift anything over 2kg just now but doc says I can try driving and cycling in about two weeks.

Wont the mrs have problems lifting it while driving you everywhere at the same time?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    good to hear, im off for my first surgical consultancy on the 12th for my neck, im hoping no surgery is required :?
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    itboffin wrote:
    As long as i live i will never forget my wife's attempt to hop a very small curb across the canal footpath which was followed a comedy slow motion tumble into the stinging nettles and me pissing myself with laughter

That exact thing happenned to me ten years ago when I was first introducing MrsFabulous0 to cycling, she still doesn't let me live it down.
  • unixnerd
    Back on the bike today :-) Did about 16 miles, used a lull in the snowy weather to go up the ski road to Loch Morlich. Not lost too much fitness but changing gear in the drops is a bit of a challenge. So if anyone else reads this in future I'd say you need 5-6 weeks off the bike if you've had a plate put in, likely more with a cast.

So happy to be cycling again :-)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Glad to hear you're back on the bike.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent... Not doing too much too soon. Will be achy for a while. My shoulder still doesn't like being stuck in the same position for long periods