chainring bolt

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Have removed 4 out of the 5 bolts to put some copper grease on each one. the backing part of the 5th bolt is turning with the bolt so therefore not coming out. I have chucked some lube and gt85 on it but no luck. Tried a flat screwdriver, coins etc in the slot but nothing strong enough to hold the backing part still.

Any ideas tips?

Comments

• GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • chatlow
    ha, thanks but I'm hoping to get this sorted today for a ride. going to have to find a wider screwdriver and give it another go
  • ah fair enough. you could try using 2 people one of you holding the screwdriver the other undoing the bolt. its very hard to do both sometimes.
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I'm wondering whether copper grease is a good idea on these and that maybe a light threadlock would be a better idea? Theres a lot of torque going through the cranks to the chain ring an this could fret the bolts loose if greased rather than locked... just a thought not a proved theory.
  • chatlow
    Any thoughts on this? LBS said not to bother using copper grease on chain ring bolts, only on the pedal threads.

They were also unable to remove the final bolt - and said drilling it is the best bet.
  • Copperslip it in and away you go - Yossie says that if you Loctite them in you'll never get them pout because of where there are - they get covered in shyyyte anyway so clean them greased up and do up nice and tight.

He's always copperslipped his and its solved loads of problems.

Remember - rotating parts, moly, non rotating copperslip (as its slightly abrasive)

The bits of copper in the copperslip will also help to secure things in place.

Drilling out is also easy so he says, to be sure, to be sure and a new bolt should be a matter of pence.
  • Get a set of these and you'll do away with the screwdriver/coin carry on.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=16484

Oh and I'd put a dab of grease on. It took me months to track down a creak coming from my drivetrain, turned out it was the chainring bolts!!
  • chatlow
    noted, thanks!

Should I copperslip the bolts holding the crank arms as well? Just I can hear a sight creak/click when I put pressure on them..