Commuting to Croxley/Watford from the east

SmellTheGlove
SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all
some time poster, but more lately lurker here.
Wondering whether any of you ride to Croxley from the Bushey/Elstree/Barnet direction? I'm facing the likelihood of a big change to my usual 10km pootle each way to something nearer 25 or so, due to a factory move. I probably won't be able to do it 5 days in 5 like I do now, but hope to manage a couple a week. Slightly galling is likely having to invest in four wheels again after several years car free. Probably out for a recce next week some time but any good route tips, junctions to avoid, "park and ride" options etc will be gratefully received. I'm toying with A411 (looks a bit narrow) or even a stretch of that bike lane that miraculously appears to run nearly the full length of the A41 according to streetview. And what's this Ebury Way..?
Thanks again, and take it easy out there,
STG
"Consider the grebe..."

Comments

• No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    I don't commute your route, but I do live in the Watford area.

You are a bit limited for direct routes from the east - A411 is it really - and it does have some difficult (i.e. multilane and fast) roundabouts, particulary crossing the A1 and either side of the (route under the) M1. The bike lane by the A41 is mostly usable. You could link this up with a route through the back roads (Little Bushey Lane, Bushey Mill Lane, Park Avenue) to the Colne Valley cycle way (sort of parallel to Stephensons Way) and then link to the Ebury Way (via Tescos and then PC World - follow the EW signs). There is then a rideable route from the EW into the Watford Business Park at Croxley. Won't be a fast route I don't suppose.

Take a look at Google Maps with the 'Bicycling' option checked.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Same as above - Watford based. A411 thru bushey is prob best beta little bit ofa4125 turn right and then pick up Ebury way at riverside rec at bottom of deacons hill. Not sure what bike you've got, ebury way isn't best surface for 23mm tyres on a road bike, but by same token you don't need a mountain bike to navigate it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Thanks for that guys, it's priceless. I haven't done the recce just yet but will have all this noted down when I do.
    Bike will generally be my workaday BSO (a bit slow) but the roadie's sure to make some guest appearances, as it does on my current route, perhaps with its spare wheels/Marathons.
    A 16 miles each way trip is tempting, but I know enough about myself that it won't be possible 5 days per week, so the minus is I'll likely have to invest in four wheels after three years without. Yes, you have to be realistic. And God only knows what my food bill could be like otherwise...
    Wish me luck and thanks again (plus of course there's always a chance that the alternative job hunt goes my way).
    STG
    "Consider the grebe..."