Same as Chromo 456 EVO2, but lighter?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I like the geometry of the chromo 456 evo2, but it weighs a tonne (5lb 10oz for the small frame). And I'm not a fan of the carbon version.

I'm mainly looking at the head angle as I want it to be nice and slack with 120mm forks (with 120mm forks the 456 evo2 is 67.2deg static and 68.5 sagged).

Is there anything else out there that weighs less?

Stanton Slackline isn't as slack.
Cotic BFE/Soul aren't as slack.
Dialled Alpine isn't as slack.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cotic BFE certainly felt as slack as my old 456SS and rode a lot nicer, much less harsh. It would work better with 140mm forks.
    If you're not too tall you could go for a Charge Blender, I heard they are bringing it back this year. They were solid and really good to ride.
  • Ahh... being 6ft2 rules the blender out :(

I also like the Nukeproof Snap but thats way too small and I want to be able to increase the fork travel if needed.

I'll be honest, I did think the BFe was slacker... has the geometry changed on the new frameset? the 456 EVO2 is different to the SS too, so not sure if its gone even slacker.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I would imagine the Slackline would be pretty slack with a 120mm fork! With a 150mm fork it's 65 degrees static, so a 12 would put it around the 67/68 mark I would think. Drop them an email, Dan's been super helpful with an queries I've had and has been quick sorting my frame out :)
  • You sure?
    140mm is 68deg according to their webby... usually can usually add 1/2 a degree for every 10mm less travel.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Commencal Ramones AL?

Designed for a 120mm fork, 66.5º HA and only £270...not sure of the weight though

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501680
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't think On One would have gone slacker than the 456ss. That was borderline stupid as it was and to be honest a bit of a barge, even at 140mm.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Commencal Ramones AL?

Designed for a 120mm fork, 66.5º HA and only £270...not sure of the weight though

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501680

...I'm pretty tempted to get one and transfer all the bits from the 'hopper over

EDIT : sold out of M's only XL left in the AL.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Why not the carbon just out of interest? Tempted to get one myself and do a new build instead of the mmmbop
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • lawman
    You sure?
    140mm is 68deg according to their webby... usually can usually add 1/2 a degree for every 10mm less travel.

Afaik the measurements on te website are taken with a 140mm fork sagged 25%. Measured mine and it's 65deg with a 150mm Fox 32 :)

If you run a straight steerer can always run a works headset to slacken it out abit more, but tbh I would think you'll be fine :)
  • lawman
    Why not the carbon just out of interest? Tempted to get one myself and do a new build instead of the mmmbop

Because they ride like a piece of wood!! Great geometry but be prepared to have the sh!t kicked out of you, very harsh frame. Sold mine because it killed my back on longer rides. Great bike for a quick blast but anything over 2 hours will kill you.
  • lawman wrote:
    Why not the carbon just out of interest? Tempted to get one myself and do a new build instead of the mmmbop

Because they ride like a piece of wood!! Great geometry but be prepared to have the sh!t kicked out of you, very harsh frame. Sold mine because it killed my back on longer rides. Great bike for a quick blast but anything over 2 hours will kill you.

Fair enough. I'd be interested to try out a carbon frame, can't be much worse than the aluminium frame I have now, forgot how harsh that was. Every little bump is magnified.

I'll be following this thread closely though. Fancy a new build that is slack and takes long forks. Light is good.. :roll:
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Hmm... the stanton isn't actually much lighter than the 456 but is £160 more expensive.
  • lawman
    The 456 is cheap for a reason, cheap tubing, cheap finish and from a brief rides on two different inbreds/456's I wasn't that impressed tbh. A friends Cotic Soul on the other hand with proper Reynolds tubing is in a different class. This made me lean more towards the Stanton. The BFe is one to consider too, again the measurements on Cotic's site are with the fork sagged so the geometry of the 456/Slackline/BFe is pretty similar.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Proper Reynolds tubing?! The stuff OnOne use is the same as 525.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But it doesn't say Reynolds, so obviously it will ride rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah, Reynolds is just a brand of tubing!
    Read an interesting piece on it a while ago, the reason Reynolds gets the rep is because they were the main ones doing butted tubing back in the day .... or something like that.
  • cooldad
    They invented butted tubing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Well there we go then!
  • cooldad
    Yeah in 1800 something or other. Back when I was a lad.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Ragley Marley & M74 look fun. So does the Commencal Ramones.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.