singrasses for all conditions?

stefano
stefano Posts: 254
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking for new sunglasses to use them for dark and sunny conditions, but not expensive. What about those with yellow lenses? I know that would be OK in cloudy days but would it be a big problem on sunny days?

PS: before I had a pair with light blue lenses that could even use during nights in town...

Comments

• photochromatic it's the way forward
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    stefano wrote:
    I am looking for new sunglasses to use them for dark and sunny conditions, but not expensive. What about those with yellow lenses? I know that would be OK in cloudy days but would it be a big problem on sunny days?

PS: before I had a pair with light blue lenses that could even use during nights in town...
    IMO the yellow lens ones will not offer any protection from the sun.
  • shadow4532 wrote:
    photochromatic it's the way forward

Any recommendations for good ones, without me having to sell a kidney for Oakleys?
  • diamonddog
    Power Race @ Planet X
  • shadow4532 wrote:

Any recommendations for good ones, without me having to sell a kidney for Oakleys?

Salice.
    About £70
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    shadow4532 wrote:

I've had Uvex and Salice.

Uvex are excellent, they change really quickly and the lenses were really clear, the Salice's were very good but not as quick in changing.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 254
    These are good but quite expensive, I am looking for something cheaper to use every day.
  • shadow4532 wrote:

uvex race 202. im never going back to normal glasses 8)
  • shadow4532 wrote:
    shadow4532 wrote:

They do look pretty good; light, and frameless top and bottoms, 'cos I don't like seeing the frame.

Trouble is I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells them (only found the green pair so far...!)
  • i know it sounds bad but i got them from halfords in the end. As they were the only place that had them in black. i think they were £65 at the time
  • just had a look myself and i can see why you're struggling. the only place i can find black is winstanleys
  • diamonddog
    stefano wrote:
    These are good but quite expensive, I am looking for something cheaper to use every day.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... ng_glasses
    These are £29.99
  • shadow4532 wrote:
    i know it sounds bad but i got them from halfords in the end. As they were the only place that had them in black. i think they were £65 at the time

Yeah, that's by far the best price, but they only have them in green.......
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... 3godVlgAtw
    I got these Tifosi ones price matched to £50. They are crystal clear for the dark mornings and go fairly dark when it's sunny. Ideal for changing conditions.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • shadow4532 wrote:
    shadow4532 wrote:

Hooray! Found a white pair of Uvex 202 Race Vario's on Amazon, for 80 quid!! Let's hope they're as good as they say....
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    These;
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rudy-project-rydon-sunglasses-impactx-photolaser/

Fantastic glasses ! The photochromatic red lens is great in everything from bright sunlight to overcast days, I've even used them at night without any issue. The shape is excellent and they are incredibly scratch resistant.

They may command a high price, but unless you lose them, you're unlikely to need anything else for a long time. I find that if I buy expensive glasses I tend to look after them more.
    Highly recommended !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • tanipan
    tanipan Posts: 261
    Hi
    I have a pair of Oakley white m-frames with the lens mark Cavendish use's
    jade green sweep these are brand new never used looking for £70
    Cheers
    m parsons
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Winstanley have the uvex 202 for £62.99 looks a good deal.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/56656/Uvex_SGL_202_Race_Vario_Sunglasses_UGL803?gclid=CMSP4cP0t7oCFbIPtAodgC4AAA

I bought the Salice 006's earlier in the year, and very happy with them despite non photochromatic. You do get clear lense for winter though. Wouldn't mind trying some photochromatics, but not sure about uvex styling.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    Winstanley have the uvex 202 for £62.99 looks a good deal.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/56656/Uvex_SGL_202_Race_Vario_Sunglasses_UGL803?gclid=CMSP4cP0t7oCFbIPtAodgC4AAA

I bought the Salice 006's earlier in the year, and very happy with them despite non photochromatic. You do get clear lense for winter though. Wouldn't mind trying some photochromatics, but not sure about uvex styling.

Er, could you not have told me that 2 days ago?! I just burned £20!! :D

(Although they don't have stock!)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would sell the kidney and get the Oakleys.
    They look great, better for your eyes and you will weigh less :-)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I looked at a few and the Tifosi had by far the best tint range. They are really clear when needed and really dark when the sun is out.

I liked the styles too.

£60 from my LBS.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,636
    Has nobody mentioned Singrasses? :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Went for the Uvex 202 Vario too, been looking for some good value glasses and the shape looks perfect for me. Available for £63 delivered from Halfrauds in black or silver if anyone else interested.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Went for the Uvex 202 Vario too, been looking for some good value glasses and the shape looks perfect for me. Available for £63 delivered from Halfrauds in black or silver if anyone else interested.

Almost thought I'd been double burnt, but those aren't the 'Race' version, which are 90 quid. No idea what the difference is though......
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan wrote:

Almost thought I'd been double burnt, but those aren't the 'Race' version, which are 90 quid. No idea what the difference is though......
    I was confused by this too, Halfrauds listed both and the only difference appears to be that the Race version are super fast aero-dynamic green :mrgreen: description seems to be exactly the same otherwise. But doesn't explain why Winstanleys and a few other sell the 'race' version in Black :?
  • The plot thickens;

My Amazon order was cancelled and I've been refunded, so I've placed an order with Winstanleys, which is cool as it's cheaper, although as they're not actually in stock, I think the odds of me actually getting a pair are extremely thin.
  • So now Winstanleys have also cancelled my order. No stock.

What do I have to do to get some Uvex's?!!!
  • tanipan
    tanipan Posts: 261
    You could always buy my new unused white m-frames
    Tanipan.
    m parsons
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    So now Winstanleys have also cancelled my order. No stock.

What did you do in the end?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • trek_dan
    So now Winstanleys have also cancelled my order. No stock.

I got the Uvex 202's from Halfrauds, wore them for the first time yesterday on an off road ride in very variable light conditions and were excellent. I still have no idea what the difference between these and the green race version are, apart from being green.