Campag UT BB question

not-another-hillǃ
not-another-hillǃ Posts: 1,310
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a Wilier Cento Uno with the Campag Ultra Torque BB system and Fulcrum standard crankset with the UT system.

I want to put a compact chainset on, rather than the 53/39 that is currently there.

I can't afford a UT Record or UT Fulcrum RRS chainset, so was looking at an FSA SL-K chainset.......but I am mightily confused by BBs...Some of the forums and literature suggest that UT is compatible with a wide range of chainsets...

1. Will a BB386 chainset fit in UT BB?
2. Should I just fit a 386 BB and 386 Chainset in the frame? Will that fit?
3. Do I have to just get another UT compatible chainset?

I dont want to buy the wrong stuff, but I desperately need a compact and not the standard chainset..

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Your bike looks fantastic with the record cranks so personally I would be reluctant to change manufacturer. Wiggle have record and chorus cranks for around £320. If you do want to change to anything other that ultra torque will need new cups, these are available for pretty much anything you want (except short spindles like bb30).

FSA have a good chart on their web site, I'm typing this on an iThing so struggle to include a link, go to the support section and select cranksets on the pull down menu (that's the full section not the road crankset sub section) under 'K Force light compact double crankset -old graphic' there is a 386evo compatibility chart. They don't make it easy to find!

I think your bottom bracket is 86.5 x 41 but check and then check again! 386 evo can be fitted but I suspect that the bearings will be very small, best to stick to something with a 24mm shaft.

Got a FSA 386 EVO on my cento uno sr which is the next model after yours, thinking of changing to campagnolo one day especially since the bike is back at the shop having a wobbly left crank fixed.
  • Thanks guys.....I was going to buy a Fulcrum Racing Torq RRS chainset but Ive decided to stump up and get a Super Record UT compact crankset that should fit straight into the existing UT BB....Ill then flog the Wilier branded Fulcrum standard 53/39 set to recoup some of the cost!
    Thanks for all the advice