Hi

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all

In the spirit of forum togetherness I thought I'd drop a line as I commute as well.

Hope you're all having a great Friday.

Yossie.

Comments

• What's yer commute route?

Got any good helmet cam footage?

Shimano or Campag?

Fixed, SS or regular?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Yossie
    House to St Athans (therefore meeting up at Sennybridge this Saturday eve if you can pop down for a beer or two) - still working out route so will update asap.

Nope (I was thinking about getting a cam - which is why I bought up the topic earlier). Is it worth it? Any suggestions as to make/model? Due to the day job I don't think I'll be allowed one anyway.

RED at the mo', looking at s/s for winter: probably a Plug with drop bars of a Langster. Again, opinions welcome. Maybe something Planet X based? Nothing too expensive as job ends up meaning that everything gets bashed about.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    My Friday is lovely, thank you for asking :D

I used to commute too, it was the 1970's.

do you still have steel bikes?

do they still have campag as standard?

do they still only come with 52/39?

do you still have unpadded saddles?

do you still tut a lot?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Lots of fun topics to be had here.

Lights flashing or constant?

Helmet mounted 1000 lumen beam pointed in peoples faces. Yee/ No.

Airzound. Good idea or not?

Shared use paths. Is it fair to ride into someone who gets on the 'wrong' side of the white line?

Is it safer to RLJ do get ahead of the traffic?
  • Yossie wrote:
    I was thinking about getting a cam - which is why I bought up the topic earlier

In all seriousness, WTF would you want one for?

From what I can make out for the most part as soon as someone starts wearing one, they start going looking for trouble to record on it. Completely counterproductive (assuming your objective is to get from A to B in one piece).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Yossie wrote:

From what I can make out for the most part as soon as someone starts wearing one, they start going looking for trouble to record on it. Completely counterproductive (assuming your objective is to get from A to B in one piece).

He's a BB'er, what do you expect :roll:

:P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Yossie
    Yossie wrote:

My point exactly - I was wondering if there was a purpose or as you stated.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yossie wrote:

Now look.... we've had this conversation before... :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    What do you think about helmets?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • arran77

Well I wear one and always will, others don't.

Their choice v. my choice.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no one can say who's right or wrong, 'tis a free world after all.

:wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Now I get the impression some of these BBers are in the military. Does the US Army really use these? They get all the best kit! Wheels look a bit big so probably would not be allowed on UK trains so that would really scupper them if they invaded!

http://www.militarybikes.com/

Seems we also had a cycle corps in the old days. A lot of things have probably changed (apart from maybe the teeeth!)

469px-British_Army_cyclists_recruiting_poster_WWI.jpg
  • arran77
    Kurako wrote:
    Now I get the impression some of these BBers are in the military. Does the US Army really use these? They get all the best kit! Wheels look a bit big so probably would not be allowed on UK trains so that would really scupper them if they invaded!

http://www.militarybikes.com/

Seems we also had a cycle corps in the old days. A lot of things have probably changed (apart from maybe the teeeth!)

469px-British_Army_cyclists_recruiting_poster_WWI.jpg

A few are :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12939737

seanoconn
  • Yossie
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - don't tell anyone. Its like top secret like.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    arran77 wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no one can say who's right or wrong, 'tis a free world after all.

You're wrong ;) - that's a contradiction.
  • I'm ex Army, commute and proud to lurk under the BB boulder. I commute on a litespeed siena, crudcatchers, no cam and a spiffing right cross. I believe in strong discipline with bad drivers, take it to the mattresses, so to speak. Hey Yossie, nice to see you have "commuted", over here too.
    Toodles. :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • arran77
    airbag wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

You're wrong ;) - that's a contradiction.

:lol:

seanoconn