Puncture help!!!

phuqertrfc
phuqertrfc Posts: 10
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi,

I got my first puncture last week after 6 months of commuting to work each day.

I changed the inner tube, but after 2 commutes, I got another puncture.
I changed the inner tube again, however I got another puncture within 20 minutes of my first commute.

So 3 punctures in a week on the same tire!!!

Can anyone help?
Is this something that is well known? Am I doing something wrong when changing the inner tube?
I've checked the wheel and the tire and there doesn't seem to be anything inside that is puncturing these inner tubes.

The only thing I can think, is that I have not put the tire back on correctly and that is causing the issue.

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Whatever caused your puncture is still in your tyre?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • That was my first thought, however I checked the tire and couldn't find anything obvious.
    I'll check again tonight.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Whatever caused your puncture is still in your tyre?

I would guess this too, is there anything at all on the inside of the tyre that the tube is coming into contact with?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Definitely sounds like whatever is causing the punctures is still in the tyre. I had one once when out on a ride where I checked the outside of the tyre, and felt around the inside before replacing the tube, but couldn't find it ... just assumed whatever it was had come out again and replaced the tube. Got it inflated fine, but after about 200yrds I got another puncture (not exactly what you want when it's raining and no shelter about!). The new puncture was in exactly the same place relative to the valve. It was only when I got the tyre off the rim and had a good hard look (something I neglected to do the first time as I was in a hurry because of the rain), with lots of flexing of the tyre that I spotted the tip of a shard of glass sticking through the inside of the tyre - when the tyre wasn't flexed it was hidden inside the rubber. It made it much easier to find by having the tyre logo lines up with the valve (good tip I got from these forums).

I'd say get your tyre off again and have a good look ... also check your rim tape is in good order while your at it (another potential cause).
  • ^ +1 . The other thing I've picked up for my bike is to check the outside of the tyre occasionally and flick the small stones or bits of glass out of the tiny cuts with a pin or something, means they aren't going to work their way through over time.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Sometime you can get something sharp embedded half way between the inner and outer surface of the tyre. You can't feel it when you run your hand around the inside of the tyre but, when inflated and under pressure, the outside of the tyre pressing against the ground can cause it to emerge from hiding and puncture the innertube. When found, you often have to push it all the way through the tyre with a needle and a pair of plyers.
  • So I checked the tire and found a tiny tear that had gone all the way through.
    Doesn't look like the offending object was still there, but there were 2 identical tears about a millimetre apart from each other on the inner tube.

From what I have read, it sounds like the tear in the tyre is either letting stones in, or causing the inner tube to protrude.

The advice seems to be that because the tear is in the centre of the tyre and only very small, I can fix it by filling the hole with superglue or rubber solution.

I have filled it with rubber solution today and left it to set.

Is this sufficient to fix the tear in the tyre?

Cheers
    Steve
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    If this fix doesn't help check the rim tape or when replacing the tube the tyre isn't nipping it.

When replacing a tyre I try to match a part of the manufacturers name or the like with the inner tube as this helps find issues and location on the tyre I should direct my attention too.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Last time I had this it was a really thin piece of metal like a strand of gear/brake cable or maybe a staple.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Best fix is to borrow your dad's glasses, perch them on the end of your nose so that you have to peer downwards to see through them, then turn the the tyre inside out and stand in blazing sunshine whilst you work your way round it. Then repeat on the outer side. You'll probably find a tiny shard of glass or a bit of flint that's causing the problem.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    phuqertrfc wrote:
    So I checked the tire and found a tiny tear that had gone all the way through.
    Doesn't look like the offending object was still there, but there were 2 identical tears about a millimetre apart from each other on the inner tube.

From what I have read, it sounds like the tear in the tyre is either letting stones in, or causing the inner tube to protrude.

The advice seems to be that because the tear is in the centre of the tyre and only very small, I can fix it by filling the hole with superglue or rubber solution.

I have filled it with rubber solution today and left it to set.

Is this sufficient to fix the tear in the tyre?

Cheers
    Steve

I'd get a new tyre if it's worn through
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What kind of punctures are you getting?

Has the tube been 'stabbed' with something, or has it torn? Or is it a 'snakebite' or pinch puncture (look for two holes close together.

Is the hole on the inside (caused by a spoke, probably) or outside of the tyre?

Are the punctures all happening at the same place?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Sounds like the tyre is shot, change it.

Also check that you do not pinch the tube when replacing as this would cause a puncture too. It does sound like you still have something in the tyre causing the flat.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • It is a pinch puncture.
    Two tiny slits right next to each other, and in the location where the hole in the tyre was.

I've filled the hole with rubber solution, and I stuck a tiny bit of rubber on the inside of the tyre over the point of the hole.

Do you think this will be enough?
    Someone suggested replacing the tyre if the hole has worn through but on the inside, I would call it a hole, I would just say that you can tell where the offending whatever got through to cause the original puncture. A tiny little cut. It is now covered with both rubber solution and a little bit of rubber stuck on.
  • I kept getting repeating punctures ... turned out to be a titchy hole in the sidewall of the tyre. The inner tube was just coming out of the hole like a zit. The second too much pressure, pop!. Replaced tyre. After closer inspection, realised my brake was ever so slightly touching the tyre, which is what wore it away. Worth a look.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 70
    This happened to me on Sunday. Replaced inner tube, only for it to go again, 16 miles away from home. Nice long walk :D When I got chance to spend time looking at home examining location of puncture, I found the smallest ever piece of glass lodged in the tyre tread, not visible from outside or inside, but definitely there when pushed out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Upgraded to some Schwalbe Marathon Plus (supposedly very puncture resistant) which seem light years ahead of the Kenda "Happy Medium" tyres that came with the bike. Now waiting for my sprained ankle to heal before riding again. Sprained it during long walk home by stepping on the edge of a kerb hidden by grass etc making my foot go sideways.
  • had similar problems this week
    first i tore a hole in a tube due to badly crumpled rim tape which exposed the spoke holes
    then after a patch it went down over night....couldnt work out why
    changed the tube and had a leaky valve, realised it was a removable valve core that wasnt fastened tight enough.
    sometime luck just isnt on your side
    i would say if you start geting flats frequently its wise to buy a new tyre