Almost drowned in irony this morning

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Great tailwind in from the South today, so the Northerly stretches of the commute were really quick...

We're overtaking the usual couple of miles of near-standing traffic when I pass a woman driving some vague rep-mobile and she's drifting in the lane (left to right, right to left). I give her plenty of space when going past and look inside to see she's on the damn phone paying no attention to anything around her :evil:

Instant zen-reversal and I'm hurling abuse at her while looking over my shoulder while (it turns out) doing over 23mph. Up the hill. In near standing traffic. Bloody good thing I turned to look back in front and avoid the white van just in front of me. :oops:

Still - loads of other really considerate drivers and I even managed to have a laugh at this numpty in a red van who pinned me to the kerb at the start of the line of traffic by over-taking even though you could clearly see he had to slow down. I just braked, cut in behind him, overtook and when I went past: looked over, smiled and waved goodbye :D Never saw him again.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    That wind turned into a rather demotivating headwind on the way home though :(

At least the rain never happened on either stretch of the commute. I've only just dried off after Wednesday's commute.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Who needs rain? Since it turned gloomy at each end of the day I've been wearing my boil in the bag luminous yellow Aldi Special cycling coat and have been climbing into still damp togs + gloves in the evenings to go home in. Lost half a stone in less than a month though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Took the long route home yesterday - varied stretches but the bit that had me absolutely fuming was cycling past Boots in Nottingham.

There's a great long stream of standing / slow moving traffic exiting boots to get to the A52 / A453 and we're going the other way. I'm glancing across looking at the drivers... one the phone, on the phone, not on the phone, on the phone, on the phone, not on the phone. It was absolutely no exaggeration to say that 2/3 of the drivers were actively using their phone on that stretch.

I swear for the first time since I've owned it, I'm going to go down there next week at the same time with my helmet camera and film them all. It was utterly, utterly ridiuculous.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    That sounds like a good idea... There does seem to be a view these days that it's ok in slow moving traffic and they simply have to catch up with all that Facebook and Twitter garbage. I had a similar discussion with a guy who was doing the same coming out of tesco car park a few weeks ago. Nearly ended in violence and quite made my day...