140/150mm Forks

ali4390
ali4390 Posts: 106
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Morning all - I was all set to pull the trigger on some used Fox 36 forks when a friend recommended I look at X Fusion forks as an alternative. I've had a read around online and they seem to get pretty positive reviews so I'm quite tempted, does anyone here use them or have and feedback on them? Can get them for about £390.

I have also just noticed I can buy FOX 32 Talas 150 RLC FIT from bike-discount for £374- would these be a better fork to go for?

And just to confuse myself even more I have just been looking at Rockshox Revelation RLT for £349.99 - I think these might be the ones to go for. I am slightly put off the X Fusion by what I have read re some companies not servicing them and although the Fox look great, I have heard only good things about the RS.

They will be going on a 2011 Canyon Nerve AM frame.

Edited to change title seeing as I've added more choices in.

Comments

• Were you looking at the 36's because they were well priced or because you want thicker stanchions? If its the latter, X-fusion do Slants which use 34mm stanchions and aren't much more expensive than Velvets. Check out 18bikes, they stock them.
  • ali4390
    Were you looking at the 36's because they were well priced or because you want thicker stanchions? If its the latter, X-fusion do Slants which use 34mm stanchions and aren't much more expensive than Velvets. Check out 18bikes, they stock them.
    More because they were a good price. Not too fussed about the thicker stanchions to be honest.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I can't really comment on the Slant but if they're anywhere near as good as the X-Fusion Vengeance I have then you can't go wrong 8)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The basic Vans and Floats are pretty crappy. You woll get more for your money from x fusion
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Also 32 fox flex so much its scares the willies out of me.
  • ali4390
    I've heard about the Fox 32 flex issues.

Will I get more for my money from the X Fusion over the RockShox? I do realise that chances are I won't notice a difference but would be nice to know for peace of mind :lol:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    ali4390 wrote:
    I've heard about the Fox 32 flex issues.

Will I get more for my money from the X Fusion over the RockShox? I do realise that chances are I won't notice a difference but would be nice to know for peace of mind :lol:

IMO yes.I have X-fusion Vengeance on the FS and RS Revelations on the HT and although different travel the X-Fusion are far superior IMO.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The 32's the OP mentioned have the older RLC damper, IMO one of the best made by anyone, ever. I absolutely love mine, yes they do flex a little but it reduces arm pump and fatigue on longer rides/descents and the damping control is phenomenal!
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I have 3 bike all with different forks. The least good (notice I did not say worst as they are still good) are my rocshox revelation 2007 QR. They flex, noticeably, but are plush.

I have a set of fox float 32 140mm FIT RLC with 15mm axle and they are really good.I don't notice any flex, and I ride a lot of rocky, roots trails. I love these forks.

I also have a set of Rockshox Lyrik 160mm. These forks are PLUSH. much more so that the fox. really good for the big stuff.

Overall I would say that Rockshox are plusher, but there is nothing wrong withe the fox 32's. What's more important is the axle. 9mm QR will be flex. 15mm or 20mm will be stiff.
  • ali4390
    Just as a close to this, I ended up going for the X Fusion forks. I spoke to a couple of people at the weekend who use them and were very positive, and Si at 18 bikes is a top bloke so thought I'd give them a go. Will report back when I've had a chance to try them.