Why hardtails for winter

Alangjones
Alangjones Posts: 7
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
After reading through the posts on here, I notice lots of people recommend hardtails for winter rideing just wondering what the thinking is behind this.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They get precious and worry about bearings and linkages getting wet and gritty, meaning less wear and maintenance to the 'nice' bike.
    So theoretically all winter bikes should be single speed rigids.
    The fact that summer generally lasts about 3 days sometimes escapes them.

You may notice that personally, I think it's a stupid idea.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    may be the wet and rain is some how different in winter ?
  • a hardtail is for life, not just winter
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I used to ride a cheaper hardtail in the winter so my better bike was kept in good condition until the better weather came. This was party due to doing more road miles, reducing wear and tear from salt / grit / dirt etc, and also I would rather crash / damage a cheaper bike. Now I have a road bike it goes out in most weather on the road.

Its all down to personal choice.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I ride my HT in winter as it takes a bit less cleaning after a muddy ride, but I'm not precious about my FS. I'm likely to ride more locally in winter too, so on my local trails the 150mm FS is a little unnecessary. .
  • The right bike for the terrain you intend to ride surely? There are dry days in winter and wet ones in summer. This sounds like a dark side, pyjama wearing rumour to me!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Hardtails are easier to clean and usually have better mud clearance.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    One of the main advantages I notice when switching from fs to ht is how much traction the fs has, especially during this summer when the ground has been baked hard and the ht has been pinging and smearing off everything.

Now we're headed into winter, we've had a bit of rain and the ground is softer and the difference is not so noticeable and in places the ht has the advantage. Its the same every year and this why the ht gets more use over winter.
  • Ok so being a caravan park manager I have to work all summer and only get to play really hard in the winter, so what should my ride be. On the up side I do get to live in the middle of coed y Brenin, Nant yr Arian, and cli machx, as well as numerous local trails which very few people know about
  • cooldad
    FS obviously.
    Only poor people or masochists ride HT.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    If where you ride tends to be very muddy go HT if its rocky and doesnt usually get sloppy FS.

Or buy a Unicycle and you will be ready for all conditions :wink:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    If where you ride tends to be very muddy go HT if its rocky and doesnt usually get sloppy FS.

Sorry just to be clear is that a fs or ht unicycle :lol:
  • stubs
    Alangjones wrote:
    Sorry just to be clear is that a fs or ht unicycle :lol:

Oh definitely FS anything else would be so last year :lol:
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    stubs wrote:

Like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uPznTbus3g

How this guy doesn't catch his nads on something, I don't know. It looks terrifying!

Regards

Carl
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I get the logic of a winter HT but can't help but think that if you don't need FS in winter, then you don't need it in summer! I'd ride both all year & choose which one based on the terrain - or just stick to one.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    passout wrote:
    I get the logic of a winter HT but can't help but think that if you don't need FS in winter, then you don't need it in summer! I'd ride both all year & choose which one based on the terrain - or just stick to one.

Pretty sound logic! I have a HT, but really fancy a full susser.

However, I rarely ride graded trails, it is mostly stuff through woods and on old waggon ways, which do not warrant a FS bike. My mate has a FS but spends an awful lot of time catching up (and I'm not that fast!). I have had a shot on his and it seems poor on the flat and up hill.

The few times we go to trails (mainly red grade) , I am a little slower than him, but still reckon I have just as much fun!

Another friend I used to ride with went through a series of FS bikes - he simply slams into everything and expects the bike to do the work. I reckon he is a poorer rider for this. He has cracked a few frames over the years too!

Regards

Carl
  • cooldad
    There are FS and FS.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Isn't is similar to just lock out the rear if it's really muddy. You still have a bit of bob, but you're getting almost the same experience and still ready if the route gets technical. Last ride for example I only had the shocks fully open for the really rocky descents.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    stubs wrote:

OHH Really... hahah

IMAG0137_zps6cec4294.jpg
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Bearings are expensive to service... so muddy, gritty, generally rubbish conditions = (cheap) HT with mud tyres, and anything else = (expensive) FS. But like almost everything MTB, it's your choice, despite what the Forums might suggest.

It *is* a good excuse for getting another bike...
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • stubs wrote:

OHH Really... hahah

IMAG0137_zps6cec4294.jpg

Quite tempted to say you should probably be using a thinner tyre.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • pesky_jones
    S'all good
  • Until your rear wheel goes slightly out of true and wears a hole in the frame...
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Jesus thats a bit tight!!!!! :shock:

I'll echo what others have said, bearings can cost a fortune and a hardtail is great fun and another excuse have another bike, which is why I have one :lol:
  • Damn I can't afford a full sus for summer and my carbon hardtail will disintegrate in rain ............no choice ........going to join the ramblers and live longer .
  • pesky_jones
    Until your rear wheel goes slightly out of true and wears a hole in the frame...
    hmm. Feeling kind of stupid now, there's a thin strip of worn away paint at the closest contact point :roll:

Running 2.35 Hans Dampf at the mo, always have. What would you reccomend? 2.2s be enough? Theres a 2mm gap at the smallest gap atm..
  • Damn I can't afford a full sus for summer and my carbon hardtail will disintegrate in rain ............no choice ........going to join the ramblers and live longer .
    Don't do it! http://news.sky.com/story/1125164/man-charged-after-bull-gores-rambler-to-death
  • stubs
    Damn I can't afford a full sus for summer and my carbon hardtail will disintegrate in rain ............no choice ........going to join the ramblers and live longer .

You cant ride carbon in summer they crack in the sunshine, you can only use them when there's 32 days in the month
  • Until your rear wheel goes slightly out of true and wears a hole in the frame...
    hmm. Feeling kind of stupid now, there's a thin strip of worn away paint at the closest contact point :roll:

Running 2.35 Hans Dampf at the mo, always have. What would you reccomend? 2.2s be enough? Theres a 2mm gap at the smallest gap atm..

Dunno tbh, I haven't seen a max tyre width for the bike anywhere, and from what I've seen most people seem to be running 2.35 - 2.4 and it all looks fairly tight from what I can see but I certainly wouldn't like it running as tight as that, I might be alone in that however.

Just keep an eye on it. It may be fine, I had part of my sidewall peeling off my rear tyre, rode with it for ages and never caused any more damage than wearing paint off. Only reason I mentioned it was I had a mate who ran his tyre too wide and it didn't run true, never noticed and over time had worn a hole in the frame. That said, the amount of other hornets that seem to be specced with a similar size rear tyre... you may be absolutely fine.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Until your rear wheel goes slightly out of true and wears a hole in the frame...

I have an old Heckler that looked like that with a 2.1 tyre in it - there was a seat stay brace that rubbed on the arch of the tyre until I milled a bit off it and the frame has a worn patch on either chain stay - doesnt seem to have affected it too badly!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.