Freehub diagnosis and identification

Russell160
Russell160 Posts: 67
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I have a pair of Xero wheels, which I bought used off tinternet. At first try without a cassette on the freehub seemed to work fine, but when I fitted the 9 speed cassette and tightened it up, the freehub seems to be tight and 'lumpy' as though its worn out. Is it a fault in the freehub or is it possible i've fitted the cassette wrong?
Second, if it does need a new freehub, how do I identify the correct model. I see on wiggle they are not a standard fit. Btw, it's a shimano fit.
Thanks.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What do you mean it worked without a cassette? Just spinning the freehub with your hands?

Hard to see how you could install a Shimano pattern cassette wrong? And hard also to see how installing a cassette could affect the rotation / function of the freehub...
  • keef66
    If the seller didn't say that the freehub was knackered I'd just return them for a refund.
  • keef66 wrote:
    What do you mean it worked without a cassette? Just spinning the freehub with your hands?

Hard to see how you could install a Shimano pattern cassette wrong? And hard also to see how installing a cassette could affect the rotation / function of the freehub...

Yes, just a spin by hand.

I can't really return as I bought them ages ago and just got round to fitting them.

I was wondering if by tightening up the lock ring it tightens on to the freehub and this might lead to pressure on the bearings?

I've had a look on the Xero website and it seems most of their hubs use Shimano freehubs.
  • keef66
    If it's a Shimano freehub you should be able to remove the axle by taking off the locknut / spacer / cone from the non drive side, then from the drive side insert a 10mm hex hey into the tubular nut securing the freehub body to the hub and undo it anticlockwise. the freehub should come off for inspection, and you may be able to identify a suitable replacement online.