Would you consider a ss bike as your main trail bike?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Trashed my rather old bike some weeks back (not irrepairably but still...) and am considering a replacement hardtail. Just saw the preview of the SS Cannondale on the front page and I like the idea. (I do run a ss commuter and like the speed and fitness).

Not too keen on the eccentric bb / vertical dropouts. Does that limit my choice of bb?

Anyone run a ss trail bike exclusively? How do you get on at trail centres?

Ta.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    People do, I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have done SS and gone back to gears. Its not the climbing thats the problem you can get up a surprisingly steep climb if you put your mind to it. Its the fact that your mates get narked at waiting for you as you just end up covering the ground slower. Good for fitness though.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • SS are great for training/commuting or long XC rides if you have suitably big legs. I personally wouldn't get as much out of thrashing a trail centre if I were limited to one gear. Some descents you may spin out, some short sharp climbs are going to be extremely difficult and just not generally having the right 'resistance' under pedal for when you need to change pedal position or get a turn of the cranks in between corners.

So some people do, for me personally I'd be giving up too much comfort and fun for trail riding.
  • Hmm, it would seem from the responses thus far that if you're looking for support to go SS, you're in the wrong place. Over on Singletrack World, such an idea would be much more well received.

I exclusively run a SS 'trail' bike, and get on just fine at trail centres. Have ridden SS at Cannock, Afan, Cwm Carn, Llandegla, Coed y Brenin, Penmachno, and Marin Trail.

If anyone is spinning out on the down sections, full credit to them, because I have never found this a problem and don't think I'm particularly slow on the downs. Uphill, you'll likely be quicker because you can't afford to slow down and stall. Only time I've been left behind by geared bikes is on wide, smooth, straight fire roads where the geared folk can get into the big ring but those occasions are infrequent and should be used as an opportunity to relax.

Eccentric BB does not limit your choices, you still have all the normal choices.

You have picked up on the fact that the Cannondale you refer to is rigid also? I'd be asking about that as well. Some where like Llandegla which is so well groomed I suspect it would be fine but I'm not so sure about elsewhere. Seeing as it's an alloy frame as well, you may find it rather harsh. I suggest you check out the offerings from Genesis.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Kiwi Thor wrote:
    Hmm, it would seem from the responses thus far that if you're looking for support to go SS, you're in the wrong place.

Why would anyone over the age of 3 need support to do anything. The OP was asking for experiences and opinions he has got a few replies so far and will probably get more. This is not a support group its an open forum if anyone wants to say I think your wrong and you need a 5 x 12 gearset then thats there opinion and its just as valid as any other.

I have ridden SS for a very long time I would even bet longer than you but without the Holier than thou pomposity. I no longer ride SS on trails because I found I was slower than my mates, I still ride SS on the road and will continue for as long as my knees last.

As for the OP have a go at it you might like it you might not only you can decide, its a Marmite thing there is no middle ground.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    We call it the 'sympathy bike'
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    erm..let me see..."no!"
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I really like the idea of having a SS bike, I rode SS for a very short while when I was a student and saving up for a new rear mech. But it would just be a fun bike and certainly not my only one. I also rode rigid forks for a couple of weeks and tried to ride a 4X track, it wasn't fun for that but great for junping.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    In my case "the engines canna take it captain."
  • My only bike is a SS there is a few places its slows me down and as already said its the flat stuff where you do spin out easily i do a few group rides with geared riders they will pull away on flat but i usually get to the top of the hills first.

I ride mainly Peak District and Local singletrack although i have done pines , dalby lee quarry etc all fine i used to have a geared bike too but i converted that to singlespeed too one hardtail one rigid.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    No, I would not. Not ever.

I just don't really get it. 90% of the time I'd be in the wrong gear (or traveling at the 'wrong' speed)

Each to their own though
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    S/S is all right around town or for roadies in East Anglia but I wouldn't use on challenging off road terrain myself. No.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I wouldn't. In the current issue of what MTB there is an article about back to basics (ss and ridgid) which was an interesting read.
  • I ride SS most of the time, and have done so for just over a year. For the most part, I really like it .. I like the lighter weight, lack of chain slap, and the reduced transmission 'drag' given that the chain isn't being contorted through the rear mech. Most of my local riding can be done SS ... its undulating in and around Leeds, but apart from a couple of local steep bits, I get up everything that my geared mates get up. Also, lower maintenance (generally).

As its my only bike, I put the gears back on for trips to 'bigger terrain' (North Wales, Lakes etc; that said, rode 'The Beast' at CyB SS back in the summer, and only had to get off and walk a couple of times).

I found I had to adjust my riding style, particularly going uphill ... I try to carry more speed into the start of the ascent, and you need to read the trail well, anticipate where your rear wheel might spin, and be prepared for dropping your bum on the saddle to put weight over the rear wheel to maintain traction.

I increasingly find spinning out on fast descents or road sections frustrating.

I've still got the gears (1x10) on my bike from a recent trip to the Lakes, and this year, will probably keep it that way for a while ...

Recommend that you give it a try, but don't think I would buy a new SS-only bike ...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Presumably you can get all of the benefits of SS by just not changing gear...?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Rode my geared hardtail at Afan this weekend - spinning out going downhill in the big ring and mid at the back and needed mid ring and largest at back for the climbs so I am going to say SS would not work for me - 1x10 or 11 maybe but not ss.

I do not see how in a sensibly hilly area you can have enough fun on the downs and get up the ups easily enough to make it work it just comes down to if you are fit enough to get up on a ss but dont spin out then you are doing something wrong and if you aren't fit enough then there is no point to it either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.