bad form old chap

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited October 2013 in Road general
was in town today, at traffic lights on inside of cars waiting for lights to change, a fellow cyclist came straight through between us, hit the cars wing mirror then shot the red light, the guy in the car was not happy and i got the full force of his displeasure, i would like to say it was some oik on a wreck but it was a "proper" rider, what a tosser. the phantom rider managed to p--s off numerous motorists in a few seconds, what hope for the future, (plus i nearly got a smack in the nose) :cry:

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    "Proper" rider? Oh do tell another...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I'm taking a sabbatical from motorbikes and rejuvenating my love for cycling (again!) and one of the reasons for giving up m/bikes (for now!) was the small minority of 'dicks' giving the majority a bad name. Seems that the same seems true of most pastimes sadly.........
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    dave02 wrote:
    (plus i nearly got a smack in the nose) :cry:

You nearly got a smack on the nose? For what?
  • Bustacapp wrote:
    dave02 wrote:
    (plus i nearly got a smack in the nose) :cry:

You nearly got a smack on the nose? For what?

tROLLING?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • From what I have seen cycling in the city and country is about 30% of the cyclists in cities are d**ks.
    Its a very high percentage in the town/city to say 3-4 of every 10 riders act foolishly.

In the town/city you get loads of amature cyclists and students / kids and reckless adult riders.

On the open road its different. I would say <5% of all riders I have seen out have done something foolish. One that gets me is side-by side riding on main roads!! - It annoys drivers, makes people take risks and also shows you up to be a di*k.
    Another is cyclists not using the dedicated off-road/shared pavement cycle paths along busy A roads. - They are there for us to use and safer!! (they are also smoother than the road too!).
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    You think cycle paths are safer and smoother?!! Where do you live?! It sure isnt south London....
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    In the town/city you get loads of amature cyclists and students / kids and reckless adult riders.

I take it that it's all professionals out in the countryside then?
    One that gets me is side-by side riding on main roads!! - It annoys drivers, makes people take risks and also shows you up to be a di*k.

Wow, these professionals ride side by side in the countryside?

Do you even ride a bike? Or did you somehow end up in here by accident?
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Yeah, the cycle paths are really safe round here. As long as you only ride at walking pace and dont mind sitting behind walkers and mothers with pushchairs for ages while they totally ignore the fact that you wouldnt mind getting pased them. Not forgetting to mention the numerous side alleys that people step out of without looking, and the broken glass and dog sh1t.
    Think i'll take my chances on the road thanks.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    One that gets me is side-by side riding on main roads!! - It annoys drivers, makes people take risks and also shows you up to be a di*k.

You may want to check your Highway Code, you sound like a car driver. Cycling two abreast is allowed, depending on the conditions.
    Another is cyclists not using the dedicated off-road/shared pavement cycle paths along busy A roads. - They are there for us to use and safer!! (they are also smoother than the road too!).

The ones in Brighton stop and start with no warning, often have vehicles parked in them and have more grit/glass/sh1te than proper roads. If you're obsessed with your average speed :oops: you'll be slower too...
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    DaveP1 wrote:

You may want to check your Highway Code, you sound like a car driver. Cycling two abreast is allowed, depending on the conditions.

He didn't say it wasn't allowed, he pointed out why it isn't always a good idea. I agree with him: it's common courtesy to ride in a way that doesn't unnecessarily inconvenience other road users. Singling out on main roads is absolutely sensible, not least because it reduces the likelihood that some impatient driver will pull a dangerous manoeuvre to get past.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    some utter b*llocks
    TROLL ALERT!

So I guess you are the aggressive pr1ck in the black BMW mouthing off at me (incorrectly) last Friday? :roll:

To the OP: a shake of the head and a firm "Hey, don't take it out on me!" might have helped clarify to the driver that not all cyclists are the same.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    ManOfKent wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

He didn't say it wasn't allowed, he pointed out why it isn't always a good idea. I agree with him: it's common courtesy to ride in a way that doesn't unnecessarily inconvenience other road users. Singling out on main roads is absolutely sensible, not least because it reduces the likelihood that some impatient driver will pull a dangerous manoeuvre to get past.

Er, he said quite strongly "side by side riding makes you look like a dick" not (as you said) "he pointed out it isn't always a good idea".

I said "depending on conditions". I don't feel comfortable riding two abreast on A roads, most of the time. But sometimes at 6.30 am on a Sunday morning it is fine. Just because you ride two abreast doesn't automatically make you a dick. IMHO.
  • dave02
    i think if you want to ride down the cycle paths in town then you MUST ride at a safe speed, its not all about head down arse up speed, if you want other species to like you you have got to be "play nice and behave", that means You, you know who you are
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Another is cyclists not using the dedicated off-road/shared pavement cycle paths along busy A roads. - They are there for us to use and safer!!

Seriously, a wronger thing is rarely written than suggesting cyclists shouldn't be on the road.

Have a look through this collection of well designed cycling facilities -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month

To the OP - bad karma chap, hope you had a happier cycling experience today.
  • dave02
    yes thanks, out in the open air open roads and a bit of rain (got f
    drenched) , well cant have every thing can you :D
  • Grill wrote:
    "Proper" rider? Oh do tell another...[/quot

Fess up grill, was it you ? :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    dave02 wrote:
    i think if you want to ride down the cycle paths in town then you MUST ride at a safe speed, its not all about head down ars* up speed, if you want other species to like you you have got to be "play nice and behave", that means You, you know who you are

and in exchange for our good behaviour we get dogs running off leash at us. dogs on leash leaping at us, pedestrians whose version of sharing the path means spending no more than 10seconds walking in a straight line and constantly veering across you, people who deliberately block you, people who even try to push you off, and if its one of those residential area ones that cross peoples drives, dont ever trust anyone coming out of those in a car/van is going to bother stopping or checking if you are coming along

yeah Ill stick to the roads thankyou :roll:
  • dave02
    to err is human to forgive is divine, turn the other cheek, be the bigger man, and all that stuff, we all want to be safe, even dogs have a soul (i think)
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:
    "Proper" rider? Oh do tell another...

Fess up grill, was it you ? :wink:

I am the very model of congeniality when I ride.
  • dave02
    is there a difference between a proper rider and a cyclist who just likes riding a bike, apart from the lycra :wink:
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Thank you. I quite frankly hate the "my bike my road" attitude of some fellow cyclists.
    Those side by side on a main road are daft and are causing more danger and annoyance . similar arrogant all gear no idea types who are head down and ignore everyone whilst flying around dangerously cutting up on pavements and running lights IMO. Actually this goes for country roads too as tight bends and blind spots are more common.. Again seen some willy nilly side by side going round corners.

I stand by the distinction between the town/city runners and open road. The amount of city cyclists giving other city cyclists a bad name is much higher.

Go in any town or city and you see more no-helmet danger types flying around and not obaying the rules of the road.

As for using cycle routes it should be encouraged. I have seen cyclists out in the road instead on our dedicated safer lanes that are painted on the tarmac right next to them!!!!! And there no excuse such as grid or dirt etc as these lanes are a good 3/4 foot wide.
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Thank you. I quite frankly hate the "my bike my road" attitude of some fellow cyclists.
    Those side by side on a main road are daft and are causing more danger and annoyance . similar arrogant all gear no idea types who are head down and ignore everyone whilst flying around dangerously cutting up on pavements and running lights IMO. Actually this goes for country roads too as tight bends and blind spots are more common.. Again seen some willy nilly side by side going round corners.

I stand by the distinction between the town/city runners and open road. The amount of city cyclists giving other city cyclists a bad name is much higher.

Go in any town or city and you see more no-helmet danger types flying around and not obaying the rules of the road.

As for using cycle routes it should be encouraged. I have seen cyclists out in the road instead on our dedicated safer lanes that are painted on the tarmac right next to them!!!!! And there no excuse such as grid or dirt etc as these lanes are a good 3/4 foot wide.

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

So ultimately if you ride side by side and impede faster traffic - you're a douche, and you could even get a ticket from a policeman that states 'you're a douche'.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    ManOfKent wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

It is of course illegal to ride on shared paths or pavements above 18mph due to the risks for pedestrians. As many riders can comfortable exceed this on flat and level terrain then they are obliged to ride on the road.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dave02
    if you want to ride at full speed all the time then get on the M25, :wink:
  • Grill
    dave02 wrote:
    if you want to ride at full speed all the time then get on the M25, :wink:

You've clearly never driven the M25...
  • dave02
    iam sorry i thought this was a cycle forum, my mistake :lol:
  • dave02 wrote:

Add it to your list.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    dave02 wrote:

In the future remind me to spell out my witticisms. I'd hate to think that a lack of comprehension would exclude you from the lols.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I'm ashamed to share my name with 'dave02' :(
  • dave02 wrote:
    was in town today, at traffic lights on inside of cars waiting for lights to change, a fellow cyclist came straight through between us, hit the cars wing mirror then shot the red light, the guy in the car was not happy and i got the full force of his displeasure, i would like to say it was some oik on a wreck but it was a "proper" rider, what a tosser. the phantom rider managed to p--s off numerous motorists in a few seconds, what hope for the future, (plus i nearly got a smack in the nose) :cry:

Going on the annoyed drivers logic, you should have pulled back the traffic line and given the next driver the full force of your displeasure ;)