Cookham Maidenhead to London Commute

clintonfield
clintonfield Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi All,

I am thinking of commuting from Cookham to London. It is currently around 31miles each way.

Just looking for advice on a route to take. I haven't ridden on the A4 bath road before. I am going to do a recon cycle this weekend to see what I can find.

Any advice would be useful.

Thanks
Clinton

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Google suggests the following, not sure if it's any good, plus it reckons it's going to take over 3 hours by bike :lol:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=strict
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Hi All,

I am thinking of commuting from Cookham to London. It is currently around 31miles each way......

Thanks
    Clinton

I don't think either Cookham or London is plannuing on moving anytime soon.

sorry couldn't resist :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I used to cycle to Egham from Reading. Is it possible for you to use Windsor Great Park on your route? That's a fantastic area to cycle.
  • the route I had a look at was down the A4 bath road. If I stick to this I am looking at 31 miles into work. As soon as I start trying to find the nice routes the miles start going up because they are not as direct. I want to try stick to doing 30 ish miles. I will have a look at the Windsor park suggestion and let you know what I find.
  • the route I had a look at was down the A4 bath road. If I stick to this I am looking at 31 miles into work. As soon as I start trying to find the nice routes the miles start going up because they are not as direct. I want to try stick to doing 30 ish miles. I will have a look at the Windsor park suggestion and let you know what I find.

Unfortunately Windsor Great Park is going to add a lot of miles!

I know the roads outside the M25 mcuh better but to me your choices are:

1) A40 (Hillingdon onwards) on the cycle path
    2) A4 on the cycle path but so many junctions
    3) Uxbridge Road (I understand lots of lights!)
    4) A30/A315 from Staines

1 - Back roads through to Hillingdon and then onto the cycle path (the A40 is pretty much a motorway between Gerrards X and Paddington!).

2 - OK until Slough, then :? until Brentford and possibly further(similar to A40). I've used the cycle path between the A30 & Brentford and it just does not flow due to the number of junctions

3 - No idea what it is like. Heard it is lots of lights but looks a pretty direct route on the map

4 - Used to commute on this between Staines and Chiswick. Can continue on A315 deeper into London but no idea what this further bit is like at commuting times although suspect it is OK. This route may be CS9 opening in 2014 from Hounslow onwards

I suspect over time you'll find the fastest route is not the shortest!

I think I would go with option 1 if I had to choose. I suspect there are lots of back roads that could make this commute more interesting as just running alongside 3 lane major A roads could quickly before boring/soul destroying
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I've a mate who commutes out from London to Maidenhead a few times a week in the summer.

IIRC he goes along the Grand Union canal (Slough branch) then there is a bit on the road through Slough to pick up the Jubilee river path into Maidenhead.

He did this on a MTB and was looking for a route with as much off-road as possible rather than the fastest route.

He didn't cycle in and out the same day. It was generally cycle in, train back, train in, cycle back and so on.
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    What sort of bike will you be using? It make a difference if you are riding a fast road bike vs a hybrid or MTB. Also what is your aim of doing this? To get fit or road training for example? This will make big differences to the route selected

I cycled from Chertsey to Holborn, just over 25 miles each way and did this on the road only. I tried cycle routes but found them too slow and many not suitable for a faster road bike (too much gravel). Personally i enjoy cycling in inner London because as long as you keep a decent pace you can command a road position and go with the traffic flow. The cycle along Fleet street and the Strand then down Pall Mall is just great and exhilarating on a bike.
  • Be careful on the Bath Road in rush hour, it's insane!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a road bike so if I can maintain a ave speed of around 16 - 20 mph I would be happy.

I am going to try avoid bath road - thanks for the warning. There is a cycle path from Maidenhead I can go on until Slough, hopefully when I pick up the A4 again traffic might be a little lighter.

I have been given the green light to buy a motorcycle so I can then alternate between the two.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    t4tomo wrote:
    Hi All,

I am thinking of commuting from Cookham to London. It is currently around 31miles each way......

Thanks
    Clinton

I don't think either Cookham or London is plannuing on moving anytime soon.

sorry couldn't resist :D

Note sure this comment is as smart or witty as you might think.
    Obviously if in future a new cycle lane/route is created along some way b/w these destinations, then the alternative route may bypass some roads and hence cover less miles.