Wiggle Hellfire Sportive

hughgabriel
hughgabriel Posts: 29
I've signed up for this, my first sportive, in November. Is anyone else from here doing it, or has done it in the past?

I've done bits of the route before and looks like a goodun' so looking forward to it :)

Comments

• Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    We have a few of us from the local club doing it. We are based in sittingbourne so it's a local event.

First time it's been run though.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    My friend and I are doing it too. I did RideLondon100 and he's done an Evans sportive. Looking forward to it, hope the weather is ok for it.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Bookwyse
    If anyone wants to Join us in some training runs we ride on Tuesday evenings and Sunday Mornngs from the Jenny Wren in Sittingbourne.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I live locally and TBH I think it's a poor route considering what Kent has to offer. The road where it starts and finishes (Cox Street) is particularly unpleasant - narrow, dotted with potholes and heavy with gravel last time I rode it, and a favourite of horse riders and fast-moving 4x4s. Proceed with caution there.
  • ManofKent has it spot on. Its my local riding area and some of the roads are atrocious. It does have variety and will be a challenge though, and with fair weather will be quite scenic. I'm probably going to do it, but may leave it to the last minute to decide for certain.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • I Live in Essex and am coming over the water to do this! Did the Kent Killer in February is this going to be harder?
  • Bookwyse
    Distance is longer but there are no real climbs in it.
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Just got back from doing the Box Hill Sportive (my first sportive) and I'm already looking for more sportive story do. A few of us might see about doing this one.
  • ManOfKent
    Gunnsie wrote:
    Just got back from doing the Box Hill Sportive (my first sportive) and I'm already looking for more sportive story do. A few of us might see about doing this one.

Try going out with one of the local clubs. You'll find some better routes than that one!
  • Gunnsie
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

Try going out with one of the local clubs. You'll find some better routes than that one!

I'm still not sure about joining a local club yet, as I've only done 3 rides that have been over 40 miles.... a couple of my mates ride with clubs and they say they do a leisurely ride on Saturdays which is around 60 miles and a proper club run on Sundays which is normally 85+
  • Gunnsie
    Does anyone know if this ride includes Hollingbourne Hill, if so, is it up or down it?

Cheers!
  • It doesn't, it crosses it at the top.
  • Gunnsie
    It doesn't, it crosses it at the top.

Phew!! :lol:
  • Bookwyse
    Gunnsie wrote:
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

I'm still not sure about joining a local club yet, as I've only done 3 rides that have been over 40 miles.... a couple of my mates ride with clubs and they say they do a leisurely ride on Saturdays which is around 60 miles and a proper club run on Sundays which is normally 85+
    Cone and ride with us at QRCC, we normally do a 25 miler on Tuesday evenings and then others at the weekends. New club only ten months old but thirty members already and ten of us rode the box hill sportive. Based in sittingbourne so no too far for you either.
  • Gunnsie
    Bookwyse wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

Cone and ride with us at QRCC, we normally do a 25 miler on Tuesday evenings and then others at the weekends. New club only ten months old but thirty members already and ten of us rode the box hill sportive. Based in sittingbourne so no too far for you either.

What sort of time do you meet on Tuesdays? I work in London and don't get home till quite late/dark.

Does sound tempting.
  • Bookwyse
    We ride at 6.45 on a Tuesday. I work in London as well and make it for this one. However if you fancied a later ride then we also ride on different days at different times, it all depends on who wants to do what and when.
  • ManOfKent
    Bookwyse wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

Is it a condition of membership that you have to put QRCC after your name on Strava? :wink:

Gunnsie - Medway Velo usually do 60-70 on Saturdays, 15-17mph average, to a variety of destinations, and there's sometimes a slower group too. The Sunday ride is more leisurely, normally 30-40 miles at 13-15mph average. Very local for you too, instead of adding 10 miles just to get to the start at Sittingbourne. :)
  • Bookwyse
    We don't put QRCC after our names, Strava does it as we listed our club as QRCC.LOL

I looked at Medway Velo when I was looking for a club but as QRCC are very local (.25miles) I ride with them.

ManOfKent are you riding the Hellfire, if so would be nice to put a name to a face. Or if you fancied a riding partner at any time let me know.

Jeff
  • Gunnsie
    Bookwyse wrote:
    We ride at 6.45 on a Tuesday. I work in London as well and make it for this one. However if you fancied a later ride then we also ride on different days at different times, it all depends on who wants to do what and when.

Yeah, 6:45 would be a push for me to get to, as I don't normally get home till around 6:30... sometimes 6:00, so would need to drive like a bat out of hell to get the the Jenny Wren for 6:45. One of my mates is good friends with Luke and has been out a couple of times with the club, but he also has the problem with times etc.

I'll consider it. My work is moving to Canary Wharf in December, so might be home earlier depending what form of transport I decide to take.
  • Gunnsie
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Bookwyse wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

Is it a condition of membership that you have to put QRCC after your name on Strava? :wink:

Gunnsie - Medway Velo usually do 60-70 on Saturdays, 15-17mph average, to a variety of destinations, and there's sometimes a slower group too. The Sunday ride is more leisurely, normally 30-40 miles at 13-15mph average. Very local for you too, instead of adding 10 miles just to get to the start at Sittingbourne. :)

I noticed that on Strava as well and did wonder.

My friend Elliott has been out with the the guys from MV/Victory Cycles and when I spoke to him about it he was always telling me they do a leisurely 50-60 one day and an 85ish another day... that's why I never considered MV before as I just thought I'd never be able to do that every/most weekends.

Chris
  • Bookwyse
    Gunnsie wrote:
    Bookwyse wrote:

Yeah, 6:45 would be a push for me to get to, as I don't normally get home till around 6:30... sometimes 6:00, so would need to drive like a bat out of hell to get the the Jenny Wren for 6:45. One of my mates is good friends with Luke and has been out a couple of times with the club, but he also has the problem with times etc.

I'll consider it. My work is moving to Canary Wharf in December, so might be home earlier depending what form of transport I decide to take.

My main office is in Canary Wharf and I use the Travelink coach but as a consultant I can be anywhere.
  • Gunnsie
    Bookwyse wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:
    Bookwyse wrote:

My main office is in Canary Wharf and I use the Travelink coach but as a consultant I can be anywhere.

I sometimes get the Kingsferry and sometimes get the train.... but am seriously thinking of getting a motorbike for when we move to CW, cause 14 years of getting the coaches (Chalkwell, then Kingsferry) is really starting to take its toll.
  • ManOfKent
    Gunnsie wrote:

My friend Elliott has been out with the the guys from MV/Victory Cycles and when I spoke to him about it he was always telling me they do a leisurely 50-60 one day and an 85ish another day... that's why I never considered MV before as I just thought I'd never be able to do that every/most weekends.

Chris

If it's the same Elliott I know, he never does 85 miles. :) Maybe he was talking kilometres rather than miles?
  • Gunnsie
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

Chris

If it's the same Elliott I know, he never does 85 miles. :) Maybe he was talking kilometres rather than miles?

Elliott Spelman, rides a White Carbon Scott with 105 setup, or some other light blue bike with Ultegra setup.

He did a 500 mile ride across France with others from his work last year.
  • ManOfKent
    Bookwyse wrote:
    ManOfKent are you riding the Hellfire, if so would be nice to put a name to a face. Or if you fancied a riding partner at any time let me know.
    Jeff

I won't be riding the Hellfire: if it was one of the alternate Saturdays that I'm able to ride (which it isn't) I would be more likely to head for the coast or the Weald and only stumble onto part of the route by accident if at all.
  • Like many others I suspect, I will be making a last minute decision based on weather.
  • I rode part of the route this evening and in case anyone was thinking of taking the summer bike, mudguards and rugged tyres are the order of the day.

As I mentioned earlier up the thread, the Kentish roads generally aren't particularly good. Some of this route is also quite narrow and obviously it's not the best time of year in terms of rainwash from the fields. Specific points to note, for anyone who's interested:
    - Cox Street, where the ride starts, is usually not pleasant to ride: gravel, potholes, horses, 4x4s
    - The road along the river (Lower Halstow to Iwade) will have standing water unless it's rainless and windy in the next couple of days
    - The junction onto the A2 at Newington is semi-blind, although hopefully traffic won't be too bad in the early morning at the weekend
    - There's quite a nasty descent between Otterden and Seed, sweeping but with lumps of concrete in the road
    - The road west of Doddington is very bad
    - The dip between Frinsted and Wormshill will probably be treacherous after the rain and leaf fall
    - On the plus side, if you do the Epic route it's a nice road descending from Doddington until the turn towards Painter's Forstal (about four miles out of 80)

Have fun and take care.
  • Bookwyse
    Have to agree with the above, rode sections of it on Monday and yesterday. Monday the road alongside the river was almost part of the river itself. We have to do Cox Street twice and I can see lots of issues there and just after Stockers hill on the descent being a hot spot as well.

But I am still looking forward to it.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Appalling roads for a sportive - shan't be returning.

Set off doing the Epic but after riding through what may as well have been rivers, down narrow lanes with virtually no clear road, decided to turn off and follow the standard route back, only to puncture, and then puncture again on the final climb. Don't think I've seen so many people at the side of the road fixing puntures.
  • Apparently 4 riders got round without punctures, I on the other hand got 4 punctures. I also switched from the epic to the standard. A shame as Kent has a lot to offer.