Frame clearance

scrumpymonkey
scrumpymonkey Posts: 49
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

Quick question before I go outside with the steel rule. I've just tried to fit a SKS bluemel rear mudguard to the wife's Raleigh Airlite 300 and found there isn't enough clearance between the tyre and frame. I have an airlite 400 of the same frame which is the same size and although the clearance was tight, the bluemels fit my bike. There seems to be about 2-3mm less clearance (without measuring it) on the back wheel at the cross section between the chain stays. Her bike runs Ryde Flyer wheels with Schwalbe Lugano 25mm tyres and mine has Shimano RS00 with Schwalbe Durano S 23mm tyres.

Will there be difference in the tyre wall height that could explain this and if so, should I get a set of 23mm tyres for her bike? If not, could this be a difference in the manufacturing process? Sorry to ask this before measuring the aforementioned frames and components but it's pissing down outside and I'm looking after my 15 month old son so outdoor time is off the cards.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You have 2mm narrower tyres on your bike than your wifes bike and there appears to be 2-3mm less mudguard clearance on your wifes bike. You should be able to work this out! :lol:

Yes, get 23mm tyres for your wites bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I know it was a bit of a daft question Rolf but I assumed the difference in the tyre size was the width and not the side wall height and just wanted to check whether this was the case :?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    swap the wheels over and see ...
  • Ha, good idea! When it stops raining I will do that. Just shows that a little lateral thinking always helps, cheers slowbike.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I know it was a bit of a daft question Rolf but I assumed the difference in the tyre size was the width and not the side wall height and just wanted to check whether this was the case :?

It's width that determines the performance of the tyre - wide tyres = lower pressure, comfier ride and better able to deal with rougher surfaces, narrower tyres for faster, higher pressure racier applications. 25mm is an ideal width until you start mucking about trying to squeeze mudguards into a race frame. I have that problem with my Ribble. Even 23mm tyres are a tight fit under the Crud Roadracers. 25s are a non starter unfortunately.

The tyres have broadly the same rounded shape whatever the size so a wider tyre will also be taller than a narrower tyre but variation also exists between brands. Worth bearing in mind if the fit is really marginal.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You'd need more clearance to run 25mm tyres with mudguards. I do this on my Racelight Tk, but it has the extra clearance and as a result needs longer drop brakes.

23mm tyres with mudguards is still a bit of a squeeze on a Ribble winter trainer; it's often impossible on many race frames.
  • Swapped the wheels and this showed that there was more clearance. 23mm Tyres on the way, many thanks for all your replies.