specialized hardrock sport FORKS!!!!!!!!

staggera99y
staggera99y Posts: 51
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

i have acquired this bike extremely cheap and want to replace some parts, first off is the Forks, these are RST capa T5's, there is movement in the stantions, when i brake you hear the clap, if i stand with the brake on and rock to an thro there is a good few mill movement, will i be able to replace inner parts or will i have to replace the whole fork, if the latter which would be a good replacement without breaking the bank, 2nd hand is fine!
i have a "Aheadset" top ring and an allen key bolt at top of head set, so i believe within the steer tube there is a nut? is it a simple case of unscrewing and replacing with another fork.

i will upload pics asap but photobucket is playing up.

Many thanks

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Replace the whole fork - Rockshox Recon Silver or Gold from Merlin Cycles are among the cheapest. Also look out for some bargains on eBay
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    i have a "Aheadset" top ring and an allen key bolt at top of head set, so i believe within the steer tube there is a nut? is it a simple case of unscrewing and replacing with another fork.
    Sort of, not quite. Read Parktools link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    on one have rock shox xc 30's for £80 at the minute. they're pretty poo, but if you're on a really tight budget they'd do and are certainly better than what you've got :D

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSXC30/ro ... 30tk_100mm
  • Ok so this morning I stripped forks, I undone the 5mm Allen key bolt, about 2" in length, plus I loosened headset holding bars, forks slid out the bottom, there was a star nut wedged in tube, tube is 1" 1/8 and from under the fork the length is 230mm, from the entry point of the forks where the tube inserts that is 190mm and the actual tube length is 200mm.
    On the headset there was a couple of rings, spacers and washers.

Basically I need to get forks with a tube length around 190 or 185mm and if needed remove a washer??

Thanks all
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I may be confused but I would think based on what I think you said, you need a longer steerer tube than that.
    I needs to be at least as long as the head tube, plus the stack height of the headset and stem, plus a little bit. Too long is fine as you can space it (above or below the stem) or cut it down. Too short is a disaster.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The steerer on my last 2 bikes has been 190mm

But as cool dad has said. Too long is better as you can space or cut it down
  • ok so from the crown still fitted to the forks it measures 190mm, when the headset is to be placed back on it has about 3 or so spacers so i reckon i could get a 185mm or the 190 that i already got.
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    ok so from the crown still fitted to the forks it measures 190mm, when the headset is to be placed back on it has about 3 or so spacers so i reckon i could get a 185mm or the 190 that i already got.

depends on the size of the spacers.... not sure id get rid of all the spacers though, id atleast make provision to put even a small one in between stem and headset and ideally a small one above the stem also so that the stem grips the whole of the steerer tube.

Dan
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Replace the whole fork - Rockshox Recon Silver or Gold from Merlin Cycles are among the cheapest. Also look out for some bargains on eBay

I have Rockshox gold forks and they are low maintenance (so far) and very adjustable.