new tyres

Bigun6767
Bigun6767 Posts: 81
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having just slashed my continental mountain king tyre at llandegla last weekend I am now looking to change tyres ready for the winter.I like the conti's it just that the sidewalls are too thin(none protection model).I have just purchased a maxxis minion dhf 26x2.35 which I have put on the front.I know have a conti rubber queen 2.2 on the rear.I am after suggestions as to what tyre I can pair up the maxxis with? I have continental Baron 2.3,Rubber queen 2.2 or Mountain King 2.4 that I have hanging around or do I put another maxxis minion on?I chose the minion due to the good reports.Anyone have any suggestions or favourites? I am riding a Marin Eastpeak 120mm full sus.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bigun6767 wrote:
    I am after suggestions as to what tyre I can pair up the maxxis with?
    An Ardent works really well with a Minion. Maybe an Advantage if you're looking for more grip at the expense of speed
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what MK version did you have?

anything but the protection models are suseceptable to tares
  • I was using mountain king 2.4 front and rear before. The minion looks like it should have more grip on the front.I wasn't sure if I should use the minion on the front and ardent on the rear or a high roller front and the minion on the rear? Any suggestions?
  • .blitz.....took your advice and put an Advantage on this weekend. What a difference.coupled with the Minion it rides fast and surefooted. Thanks for the input.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Nice one.

Prefer an Ardent meself am prepared to sacrifice a little grip for a bit more speed but they both seem to work pretty good, although an Advantage is probably a better choice heading into winter.