Worn Rear Dropouts Misaligning Wheel (pics)

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I recently noticed that my rear wheel was fowling the non driveside of my chainstay. I had the wheel trued and dished but it seems that the problem is actually with the dropouts. The drive side dropout has quite a large worn section to it. THe wheel does align if I centre it and really crank the QR. Obviously this is not ideal so does anyone have any soloutions?

I thought of lining the area with Araldite or something similar to make the gap a little less but not sure how effective this will be. It is a Cannondale f800 hardtail btw.

29pyayp.jpg
dnkbat.jpg
15xr4sz.jpg
2960x7b.jpg
2up8jgh.jpg
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• That looks to be a pain. Not sure araldite would be up to it, but might be if you get good and clean and take care. Build it up then sand it down to shape. Maybe fibre glass would be stronger - still epoxy but with reinforcement. I guess you're only trying to hold the wheel in position and the stress would be dissipated once the QR is done up.

Another option might be to get a good welder to TIG weld a little bit of metal on then file if carefully back to shape. It'd probably be the best solution, but you'd want to make sure it was someone who knew their stuff so they don't weaken anything. Dropout is quite a substantial bit of aluminium so it's not likely that there would be any probs with weakening welds...