Those killer hills

FECES
FECES Posts: 25
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Often when cycling up stony dirt tracks up mountains I struggle to keep the front wheel planted. If im on a steep enough hill its often a choice between front tyre contact or rear wheel grip depending on how I distribute my weight. Do most mountain bikers encounter this or is it at least partially down to my bike design? Still good fun.

Comments

• Not uncommon . Best tip I picked up is to move forward on saddle and bend at waist to bring weight over the front . Hard to describe but check out you tube for mtb climbing tips .
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Try 'rowing' up them, drop your wrists, bend ze elbows and get your chin on the stem, this gets your weight forward and low making you stable and puts power through to the back wheel. You will still need to make small adjustments shifting your weight from time to time to compensate for the terrain and amount of grip available.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Could be your bars are too high. Try removing a couple spacers from under the stem.
  • Best description I can come up with shift forwards on the nose of the saddle and effectively laying down over the bike, much like described above. You'll fine you'll shift up and down a little as you fettle between rear wheel traction and front wheel lift. Pedalling with a lower cadence generall helps rather than spinning like mad.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Paper
    Paper Posts: 19
    Ride as steadily as possible too, sound obvious but jerky acceleration or riding doesn't help.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    This video explains a good climbing posture really well;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS8nzvqfPA
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I always find on the steepest hills lacking grip if you hunch low over the bike and just keep adjusting your weight between the front and rear of the bike. This only works on very steep hills along with smooth pedaling, the right gear for you and fitness.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Put your thumbs on top of the bars, next to your fingers, makes a massive difference. Accelerate before the steepest bits, change gear on the flatter bits but try not to change gear as this breaks your rythm. I find a nice low gear good as you can then cope with rough bits without moving out of the postiion described above, but not so low that you will spin out.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I was very much the same and what worked for me was like a couple of guys have said, drop the wrists and get forward on the saddle by that I mean, if you excuse my description, sitting right on the nose so you almost feel like one slip and it'll disappear up your bumhole :shock:

Are you also trying to ride up in your small (granny) gear if so, try dropping up a ring or two, yeah its harder work, but with a smooth cadence and rhythm you'll find you can power up and get more grip
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • FECES
    FECES Posts: 25
    "Are you also trying to ride up in your small (granny) gear if so, try dropping up a ring or two, yeah its harder work, but with a smooth cadence and rhythm you'll find you can power up and get more grip"

Nah, wont be doing that. I will take your advice about the bum ole tho, along with careful pedalising so as not to spin out or become too erratic with it.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Just do it more. You'll get better at it