Do I need a new cassette? (pics)

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Had a good look at my cassette today and it is starting to look quite worn, and so is my chain. Several of the teeth look quite pointed and burred...shifting is not brilliant (working from the lowest to the highest gears). Question is do I replace one or both...the outer ring on my cranks also looks a bit worn too!

qye3o2.jpg

2vhstpw.jpg
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Impossible to tell.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Get yourself a chain wear indicator. That way you have a definitiveway of assessing if it's time for a new cassette.
  • cooldad
    No you don't, you have an idea of chain wear, hence the name.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    No, you don't need a new cassette. Clean the bloody thing and it'd be a lot easier to see.

You've probably got another chain's worth of wear in that cassette (total guess!). Depending on how many sandpits you ride through without cleaning it.

Clean the whole lot up, check your indexing, and it'll be fine. You might want to think about swapping chains to extend the effective useful life of your cassette.

Oh, and your chainrings are fine. Wish mine looked that new...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No, you don't need a new cassette. Clean the bloody thing and it'd be a lot easier to see.

You've probably got another chain's worth of wear in that cassette (total guess!). Depending on how many sandpits you ride through without cleaning it.

Clean the whole lot up, check your indexing, and it'll be fine. You might want to think about swapping chains to extend the effective useful life of your cassette.

Total guess work. Cooldad had it - it's impossible to tell. Either get a chain checker - if it's beyond 0.75% then you will almost certainly need a new cassette. Or get a new chain and just try it.
  • cooldad
    Or if it's all shifting fine and just 'looks' a bit worn, do nothing. When it is all worn, replace it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hi,

Well the indexing of the gears has been getting worse and will not index up the gears smoothly anymore not matter how I set it up. Down the gears is fine however.

I have ordered new chain as new one is on the verge after measuring it with a ruler.
    Remember Rule #5
  • You may also want to replace the gear cable inners. Poor quality cables will effect indexing.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    This, especially if up actually means up, ie to small cog. Although I generally replace outers as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I have just replaced the inners and it made no difference, this is why I posted re the cassette.

The problem I have is changing up the gears, as in from gear 1 (largest) up to the smallest cogs, rather than up the cassette. It seems I need more tension in the cable to get it to shift down the gears (smallest to largest) but this equates to too much tension when working up them (largest to smallest). I have opted for poorer downshifts at the moment as the problem is worse changing gears on hills when I am typically in a lower gear.

I have ordered a new chain and the requisite tools to remove the cassette so I can give that a really good clean and see how I go from there.
    Remember Rule #5
  • cooldad
    I would change the outers first or as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Will give that a go. Cheers.
    Remember Rule #5