giant tcr developed a nasty click

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited October 2013 in Workshop
As title says its a 2011 tcr 1. cycling home and it started clicking around the pedal/BB area.Quite loud sometimes and can feel it through the pedals.

Have replaced the chain as was due anyway and still clicks. Only clicks when pressure is put on pedals - it's silent when on the repair stand and turning the crank.

Anyway for me to test the pedals, BB or rear cassette for issues?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's usually down to a piece of grit getting between pedal/crank or in the B&B area.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    My Caadx did this recently. Had the bottom bracket re-greased under warrenty and the clicking has now gone. My BB is a BB30.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • chatlow
    KentPhil wrote:
    My Caadx did this recently. Had the bottom bracket re-greased under warrenty and the clicking has now gone. My BB is a BB30.

Yeah this is what I'll be looking at next. Would rather save some cash and re grease myself. Does it matter what grease is used? Not sure what BB I have.

Just been outside and the click seems to almost disappear in the rain
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's probably the BB bearings - 2 years is about the norm before they need replacing.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chatlow
    Monty Dog wrote:
    It's probably the BB bearings - 2 years is about the norm before they need replacing.

is there any way to test the BB bearings before spending money on replacing them? Like I said the click only happens when pressure is put on the pedals with my feet. Doesn't click when I pedal very softly. Have tried using my hands to rotate the pedals around when on the repair stand and it's very quiet so impossible to determine exactly where the click is coming from.

Was fine for first minute this morning then clicked all the way there after. worse going up hills. Putting me off the bike!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    chatlow wrote:
    is there any way to test the BB bearings before spending money on replacing them? Like I said the click only happens when pressure is put on the pedals with my feet. Doesn't click when I pedal very softly. Have tried using my hands to rotate the pedals around when on the repair stand and it's very quiet so impossible to determine exactly where the click is coming from.

Was fine for first minute this morning then clicked all the way there after. worse going up hills. Putting me off the bike!

Can you feel any lateral movement if you grab the crank arm and rag it about? Obviously, but for clarity, there should be no play. If that doesn't prove to be conclusive, you should be able to spot a knackered bearing because it will look... well... knackered. But I'm assuming here that you know how to get to the BB bearings.

But as NapD mentioned, it could be grit between two surfaces. Something very easy to do - and MIGHT be the cure - is to remove, re-grease and re-fit the pedals. Clean the threads and get them back in nice and clean and tight.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • chatlow
    Okay. Pedals are brand new - but I didn't grease the threads before putting them on. Is this recommended? If so, I have got cheap triple qx ( think) grease at home, so will try that later. Thinking about it, I'm sure this click occurred after a cycle in heavy rain so maybe grit has got in there somehow.

As for play - can't feel any, but I haven't taken off the crank or looked at the bearings yet. Something I haven't done before so will google the tools needed. From what I have found it looks like the 2011 tcr1 compact has a press fit bb86 BB
  • chatlow
    one other thing worth noting is that a week after I installed the pedals (r540's) I noticed the grease had started seeping at the thread join. Is this normal or could this be another clue?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Take off pedals, loads of copperslip, put back on.

Take off chain ring bolts: loads of copperslip, put back on, tighten a turn or so at a time in an opposite each bolt rotation.

Lube cleat/pedal interface.

That's want I'd do before anything more drastic.
  • I had a click, but not nasty. It was every rev and turned out to be the peddle as I never put any grease on the thread either.
  • Lewiy
    Lewiy Posts: 8
    Before you do anything more complicated, check the pedals are tightened up. OH had exactly the same thing, relatively new bike, suddenly developed clicking but only when riding, not just spinning the cranks. Tightned up the pedals, click gone, panic over.
  • chatlow
    okay will def try the pedals later. pretty sure they are tight - 17mm spanner is quite long so good leverage.

will try some other cheap pedals first as a test then chuck on some grease or copperslip on the chainring bolts and pedal thread if i can get to halfords later.

let you know the outcome
  • chatlow
    right I've been out for a quick 20 min ride and have found the noise is a lot quiter.. and now accompanied with a gritty grind too.

All I have done is remove each chain ring bolt (one is stuck though and just rotates with the backing so have left that for now)
    Tightened them back up, used some copper grease on the pedal threads and made sure the QR's and top bolt cap are tight.

Is GT85 ok to spray around the BB area, give it a good clean if possible
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Don't use gt85 around the bb it will remove grease from the bearings, I learned this the hard way